What's new
What's new

unloading WW Bull-dozer - new machine day

More picsP1070195.jpgP1070197.jpgP1070200.jpgP1070208.jpg
Here it is on the truck, picked off and then set on ground, then axle under it to go up hill from road to shop. When first tried to move up hill as in post 1 pic the weight was not balanced right so the heavy end needed to be on the downhill side and pushed with forklift. Motor had to come off to get close enough to machine as well as not damage the motor by pushing on it. Motor is 10 hp.

Forklift was able to get about 1/3 (100 ft) of the way up the drive before it gets a little steeper. To steep to push the 13000 machine with the 5000 lb forklift. So with the forklift still under on the back we ran the cable out and pulled it up. Took most of my chains to stretch all the way.
P1070211.jpgP1070213.jpgP1070215.jpgP1070216.jpg

All moving parts were seized up from sitting in the Washington rain for 15 yrs or so. While I was up there and looked at it I put a little oil on all the shafts. That must have done some good because when I had to remove the motor it and the top shaft started to move. I was not trying to move either of them, but the vee belts were rusted to the pulleys so just the little movement of breaking the belts free was all it needed. The second shaft is also free, this is the one that drives the big gears. The main shaft on those gears as well as the crank arms are still seized solid. Wll the motor bolts came off with no problems so I do not think it will be hard to pull the caps off the main shaft to clean and lube it. I have been oiling it daily until I get time to focus on it. the sliding collar for the clucth is also still one with the shaft it slides on. Kroil in daily dosses should help there also.

Cool! Think you'll be setting it up for use soon? Have some projects planned yet to put it to work on?
No projects yet but I think I will make a die set for belly pickets, not like the standard ones everyone buys. The moving die is something like 44" wide. I might also be able to use it to straighten pickets that get textured in the power hammer, maybe straightening forged toprail as well, be nice to straighten it in large bites... dont really know yet kind of thinking out loud?

Wow, thanks for sharing all the pictures.

Is this what what they call a cable lift dozer?

Looks like it in the first photo. If so, what turns the cable drum? It looks like an old electric motor, but I must be seeing things.

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks for sharing all the pictures.

Is this what what they call a cable lift dozer?

Looks like it in the first photo. If so, what turns the cable drum? It looks like an old electric motor, but I must be seeing things.

Steve.

Don'cha just love these clowns who can jump in with out reading the whole thread and associated links?
D

This bull dozer never pushed any dirt around. Its a metal masher, like maybe for forgings

As far as cable lift - I used to bury chip plies with a D8 cable lift - what a beast - but that was fifty years ago

Monday morning rigger here. Would it have fit on the deck of the crane, and is the crane deck up to that?

That said, I know it's sometimes important to use all the toys... ;)

Monday morning rigger here. Would it have fit on the deck of the crane, and is the crane deck up to that?

That said, I know it's sometimes important to use all the toys... ;)
It is a carry deck after all isnt it? The deck is rated for about 6000 lbs over the front OR rear and the machine weighed 13000 lbs.
The other concern was the shuttle trans was slipping a little.
That is why after the forklift could no longer push it up on its own, I used the crane winch to pull it up, instead of just towing it. I have since removed the shuttle and found a broken belleville washer, so full pressure could not get to clutch pack. Rebuild kit is here and just need to make time and put it back together.

The original plan was to back the truck up to the shop and unload there. The wide spread between the trailer axles along with the weight on the back of it would not let the driver turn the trailer sharp enough to do that, he did put a heroic effort into trying though.

Looks like it was for heading large bolts,rivets etc
The "dies" that are in are for bending 90º parts. It is like a press brake with vertical dies, it could only bend 8" or so legs and 18" long. When I get it all cleaned and moving I will see what the clearance is and try to use them for bending some scrap. Maybe I will learn a little by replicating what they did in the past?
This is a good photo of a bigger machine in a RR shop, (1904) you can see the type of parts it is good at making:
Shorpy Historic Picture Archive :: The Blacksmiths: 1904 high-resolution photo

This bull dozer never pushed any dirt around. Its a metal masher, like maybe for forgings

As far as cable lift - I used to bury chip plies with a D8 cable lift - what a beast - but that was fifty years ago
Thank you for the explanation. Guess I should've read the whole thread before commenting.

Regards,
Steve W.

Back