Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default unmentionable brand

so i was at this yard sale [i know the family so there let me in before the public] and i know but they dam near gave it to me so with all the tooling that came with it i just had to take it . gave me something to play with for two weeks only thing i had to replace was the two spindle bearings and i made up the bench out of an old rockwell radial arm saw table i could not bring myself to repaint it as the org paint was not that bad.

010.jpg001.jpg008.jpg002.jpg004.jpg

2. Likes scrap maker, Pathogen, JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have fun playing with it and learning. If some day you want to upgrade to a mentionable brand, that's great. If not, you can still learn and make some things.

4. Likes 1yesca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ahhh.... one of those was my first lathe.

6. Likes lucky7, Matt_Maguire, Pathogen, JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Total and utter crap. You'll put your eye out, cut off a finger, contract diarrhea, and then, ulcers. However, I'll be more than happy to save you the pain and take it off your hands. As long as you'll ship it to Texas, we're good to go.

Seriously though, take light cuts and practice safety. You'll learn a lot and make mistakes that you should live through.

Meager thoughts from an Apprentice.
    Darren

8. Likes 1yesca, old_dave, Pathogen, Doozer liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice score! I have an earlier one. Even though I now have a 12" Hendey, I still use the little supposedly TOTAL POS a lot. It's just so damm handy [and fast] for little jobs.

10. Likes 1yesca, Darren McCarley, Pathogen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm confused, not an unusual state of affairs. I didn't know Clausing was somehow involved with the unmentionable brand.

12. Likes Yan Wo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An approximate history: Atlas Press of Kalamazoo Michigan bought Clausing, then located in Ottumwa Iowa in the late 1940's, probably because they wanted to upgrade their lathe line from that name of which we do not speak. For several years the company was called Atlas Clausing and Clausing lathes were so labeled. At some point, 1970's?, the company was renamed Clausing Corp., probably to distance themselves from their humble Atlas lathe beginnings. By this time the Clausing lathe line had grown and improved from the 111 series originally made in Ottumwa, e.g. bigger spindle bore, long taper spindle noses. Also for some time they had imported the English made gear head Colchester line marketing them as "Clausing Colchester." And at some point back then they were acquired by 600 Group, a British company.

Sort of ironically they stopped production of the Alas and Atlas-Crftsman and the U.S. made Clausing lathes about the same time, circa early 1980's. They continued to import lathes made by Colchester and eventually from other countries, e.g. the Spanish (?) made Metosa.

David

14. Likes Screwmachine, sfriedberg, 1yesca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yet over on the General Forum you can buy steroids - from Canada.

Go figure.

16. Likes eKretz, 1yesca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

2 years ago someone wanted to talk about his Grizzly in the rebuild forum and I mentioned that those machines were banded from the forum and was told by management that all machines can be talked about now. I suppose that's because most machines are imports now.

18. Likes 1yesca, partsproduction liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren McCarley View Post
    Total and utter crap. You'll put your eye out, cut off a finger, contract diarrhea, and then, ulcers. However, I'll be more than happy to save you the pain and take it off your hands. As long as you'll ship it to Texas, we're good to go.

Seriously though, take light cuts and practice safety. You'll learn a lot and make mistakes that you should live through.

Meager thoughts from an Apprentice.
    Darren
    Wow that's almost as bad as the gentleman on FB who told me that my threaded spindle on my 1941 LeBlond is going to lose the chuck and it is going to fall on my foot... LOL I think you have him topped.. Cheers; Ramsay 1

20. Likes Darren McCarley, 1yesca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the history thing about Clausing. Some time in the late 70s, maybe after they stopped selling to Sears/Craftsman they offered these 6" lathes on sale direct to the public for $249,about half the regular price as I recall. That is when I bought mine and of course I ordered at least that much in attachments. For a few years after I got the little catalogs with the lathes painted blue on the cover. I guess at some point the sold out of them. Mine was gray like the OP but either the follow or steady rest was blue. It was a great started lathe, I built a very heavy base for it filled with sand. I moved it to the midwest and sold it before 1990 and got $1200 for it which made my day. I still have the set of Jacobs armature chucks I bought with it, think they were $50 and I used them once.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never had a go on an A.... I suppose it's a bit like a Myford-same sort of design apart from Timkens

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the history- it's about opposite of what I would have guessed. I've used a larger Clausing lathe and thought it was decent. Never used the unmentionable one, nor a Myford.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TedinNorfolk View Post
    Never had a go on an A.... I suppose it's a bit like a Myford-same sort of design apart from Timkens
    Believe me Ted, a Myford is actually better

25. Likes neilho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought a new Myford Super 7B in 1979, imported it from Nottingham.. I can assure you the Myford is far superior to the unmentionable... The Myford is an excellent lathe just too small for my needs so I sold it a few years back.. I ran the unmentionable before and it was ok but will never compare to the Myford lathe.. Cheers; Ramsay 1

27. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would be interesting if the "forbidden names" rules were eased. As mod I get exactly 0 communication on policy beyond what was set back in the dim mists of time. Is there a citation for the possible new rules?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The big fear might be if start talking about brand "A" lathes we might end up talking about MARX toy micrometers.

30. Likes 1yesca liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rivett608 View Post
    The big fear might be if start talking about brand "A" lathes we might end up talking about MARX toy micrometers.
    there is something to what you say its like that deal about you s%#k one little c^@k and the next thing you know they call you a c^@k s%#ker for the rest of your life so yea lets just call them underwear machines

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same square pattern bed, works fine. I was able to purchase parts for my TH54 direct from the "Clausing Service Center" which was pretty cool for such an old machine.

(it was the one linked below, with the three V-belts instead of back gears, also had poured babbit bearings)

Atlas 9-inch lathe

33. Likes 1yesca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That particular one is a true POS..... The crosslide is a zamak casting, if you can believe it. I cleaned up one for a friend, and was truly surprised when I saw that.

I was not impressed, but it looked good when I finished with it, and he uses it.

Agree this is a slippery slope..... Like a blue clay hill in the rain.