What's new
What's new

Unusual Compound Milling Table

mrplasma

Aluminum
I just purchased this compound table in eBay. I've never seen anything like it. Judging from the the fact that it has grease nipples and nice looking micrometer dials, I'm hoping that it will be a fairly good piece.

Does anybody know who the manufacturer might be and the approximate age?

compound table.jpg

I think Digger Doug could be onto something .
If we could see a picture of the part turned over we could get an idea if it was something like top of the swivel part on a Pratt and Whitney radius tool and cutter grinder.
They were made for a long time with several variations as shown below so yours may not be exactly the same .
For Sale: Radius Tool Cutter Grinder Pratt and Whitney R-8

Keller Die Sinking machine
There may have been other similar machines or attachments for a standard tool and cutter grinder that I'm not familiar with .
I know it isn't from a Cincinnati Monoset they are built differently.
Regards,
Jim

With the extra pictures it doesn't look like I was expecting on the underside so the original pictures are probably working side up.

It looks like the tub around the center plate would act to catch coolant of some kind so perhaps Sami is on the right track.
Jim

With the extra pictures it doesn't look like I was expecting on the underside so the original pictures are probably working side up.

It looks like the tub around the center plate would act to catch coolant of some kind so perhaps Sami is on the right track.
Jim

The P&W R8 grinder thing didn't sit right with me Jim - FWIW once had an R8 for a short while (bought it for a song more than scrap - where it was heading) I barely had it cleaned up and running when a guy decided he couldn't live without it - and was prepared to pay accordingly :D

The t-slotted tub: what rotates it and does it lock in place?
The fact that it has that lip suggests that Limy might be on the right track as to application.
-Marty-

The most puzzling thing is that it would be useless for the typical application for most such tables. They normally have the slides on top of the rotary table so the center of rotation can be moved about on the workpiece. Consider making a mold part that is a rectangle with radiused corners. You move the slides to bring the radius center to the rotab center, then rotate it around. John Ramming made an excellent one but CNC has pretty well eliminated the need.

Bill

The top of the table does not rotate. It only serves as a mounting surface with a coolant trough and drain. The table has X and Y movement only.

Update on X-Y Table Above

Here is an update on the X-Y table pictured above. Brass/bronze coolant trough came off with two cap screws from underneath. It weighs 20 lbs, bringing the remaining table weight down to around 40. Underneath all that obnoxious paint, it is in very good condition. Appears to have hand scraped ways. It was grey to start with, so I repainted it gray. Both axes work as smooth as silk with almost zero backlash. I am replacing all the gib screws and jamb nuts.

I'm going to use the same two holes on top to adapt a Cardinal 4" Speed Vise to it. I will post another picture or two when I'm finished.

Attachments

• IMG_9300.jpg
    IMG_9300.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9302.jpg
    IMG_9302.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9303.jpg
    IMG_9303.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9306.jpg
    IMG_9306.jpg