What's new
What's new

Valuable industrial heritage website

Asquith

Diamond
I've just come across this 'Scoop.it' site, which finds and comments on 'News and events, projects and opinions on industrial heritage and industrial archaeology around the world.' Curated by David Worth.

Industrial Heritage | Scoop.it

Sadly, Mr Worth wrote in August 2017: 'I have been 'scooping' industrial heritage related news on this page (and 'grain elevators' on another) for nearly seven years, and also posting a lot of it to TICCIH - Home | Facebook But the sad reality is that I'm not at all convinced it's worthwhile. I can't even see how many posts I've made, though they come to 90 pages). There are so few page views here, and hardly anybody I ever speaks to has heard of Scoop.it. So - if I stop updating this, will anybody notice? If you are one of those who will, please let me know.'

I will certainly look up Mr worths site on Facebook, I thought that the articles in the posting on Practical Machinist's site are more like an advertpage for post industrial yuppification & development, Except for the big abandoned American power station interior,s which were most spectacular.

Eh? 19 of 24 articles on page 1 directly relate to industrial history - foundry closure, museums, abandoned factories, IH conferences, etc. Just 5 are about redevelopment/regeneration of industrial sites, which, good or bad, I regard as very relevant to industrial heritage..

Facebook is a trash option for this also, it's not chronological, it's not really searchable, or is it indexed from search engines.

We're having this issue in the knifemaking world also, the major forums, have lost participation, engagement, etc, for various reasons, and because facebook has broader reach, a lot of people start groups there, and try to get it going, failing to understand how in-persistent the data is. Nobody looking years later will be able to find it, even if they happen to be aware of, and a part of the group.

This forum is by far one of the better ones, since it doesn't have totalitarian rules, exceedingly heavy handed mods, and a bunch of ways to force you into buying some membership, plus a generally pretty amiable (if crotchety) user base.

Maybe you guys can encourage them to bring the info here somehow?

I had never heard of the scoop it site that I can remember of .
Since he has done a lot of work posting there and is used to how it works , even if he continues posting in the other places perhaps he could post a link here from time to time when he makes an update.
I didn’t see any link to contact him directly so maybe someone who is on one of the other sites could send him a link to Asquith’s thread here.
Finding things of interest even using an image search can be a hit and miss operation especially if what you are interested in is stored on a less popular place on the internet.
Regards,
Jim

Back