What's new
What's new

Value of a near new condition 1962 Bridgeport mill?

rivett608

Diamond
Hello All,

I have been asked by the family of a good friend who passed away what the current value of some of his machines are. I know lots about real old stuff but not as much about what I think of newer, pretty scary something made in 1962 is considered newer.

The machine in question is a Bridgeport, I think made in 1962, maybe 2 or at most 3 owners, never used in industry. It is a short table version, manual speed change, 3 ph with new 220 v rotatory converter. Machine is in pristine condition with no wear or bearing issues (I got my 1968 Clausing lathe years ago from the same original shop that is like new). It is in the mid-Atlantic region of the country since location has an effect on pricing. Currently not for sale.

So what is the current value for a minty Bridgeport these days?

Thanks.

Which model ? Of J head, or M head i would think J head worth more. But both normally cost less than a Series 1.

Just a rough guess, but Id probably expect a J head to fall $500 to a $1000 cheaper than the average Series 1 price of the area. And I own and very much like a J head.

Not to mention a J head had a starring role alongside Elvis and Ann Margret in Viva Las Vegas, 1964. The engine shop that has Elvis' new racecar engine at beginning of film. :D

While I am pretty sure my retirement machine would be a CNC, it used to be a short table short knee bridgeport. They are such a sweet machine to run. Step pulleys are quiet, short table means you are never leaning over to turn a handle.

Yes they are limited in power and rigidity, but within their means they are a nice machine to run

Because it is a short table most will not value it highly , ditto the step pulley, but if it really is that nice it must be worth a couple grand

There was one like that at a local military r+d lab a friend worked at, never found out what happened to it when they closed it, but it was like perfect

Hello All,

I have been asked by the family of a good friend who passed away what the current value of some of his machines are. I know lots about real old stuff but not as much about what I think of newer, pretty scary something made in 1962 is considered newer.

The machine in question is a Bridgeport, I think made in 1962, maybe 2 or at most 3 owners, never used in industry. It is a short table version, manual speed change, 3 ph with new 220 v rotatory converter. Machine is in pristine condition with no wear or bearing issues (I got my 1968 Clausing lathe years ago from the same original shop that is like new). It is in the mid-Atlantic region of the country since location has an effect on pricing. Currently not for sale.

Thanks.

Depends on what accessories and tooling come with it, if any?
Short table version, is it 36" or 42", will make a difference?
Another factor, is there loading available or is it in a basement and has to be taken apart?

I would think the high end would be in the $5000 range.......a lot of variables!

Kevin

Depends on what accessories and tooling come with it, if any?
Short table version, is it 36" or 42", will make a difference?
Another factor, is there loading available or is it in a basement and has to be taken apart?

I would think the high end would be in the $5000 range.......a lot of variables!

Kevin

This was the figure in my mind. You surely could not buy this type of quality new today. For a smaller shop or hobby guy the smaller table should be a plus. Also being wired with the convertor should make it attractive to a larger group. With decent care it will last several lifetimes.

I would buy it if i just had the room.....

Hodge

All depends on finding a buyer who wants it.
I would think 5000 way high for the toolmaker sized machine. I have owned six of them from right around this vintage.
Rpc and tooling does add but I'd be more in the 3K range for the base machine if in really good condition.
I love this little machine but at 5... no.
Bob

Earlier this week a couple guys felt this filthy thing was worth $5k.

Name brand mislabeled as a “Practical Machinist “ helped I guess?
e0ddf7311787216300f5bfed02a79c4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think location is a huge factor - Down here in Florida I regularly see Bridgeports selling for unrealistic prices, often for worn out looking machines, up north, not so much.

Currently not for sale.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

This means it is worthless, machines are worth whatever you can get for them. since it is not for sale you will get nothing for it, that makes it worth nothing.

I had a one owner J head 42” single phase similar era used sparingly at a home tinkerers shop and sold as a best offer with various new tooling in boxes all US made stuff. The buyer was going to spend $7,500 on a supposedly rebuilt Bridgeport locally. I asked what’s that rebuild consist of, a tear down, oiling and pretty paint? He made the offer and I got close to what the rebuilder wanted. Now by no means is that an accurate benchmark as to what the OP’s is worth without proper comparison. Obviously my buyer knew exactly what he wanted and knew what he was looking at. Joe Schmo average isn’t going to buy at that price point either. I made it well aware to buyers before they came out that 1 it was going to be worth the trip 2 it was going to cost them so be prepared.

Bridgeport Mill Series I 9"x 48" 2J 2.0 hp - tools - by dealer - sale

(Note: this is a highly respected shop)

Yours may be worth 7k and you may be lucky to get $4.000

It all depends on the market and finding the guy who is willing to spend x dollars.

RE: Mid Atlantic is a big place..You might mention the state and get some interest here.

Looks like new is roughly 20-25 K.

A shame it is not a mint 1962 Ford Mustang

Last edited:
Depending on what it is ,the rotary phase converter may have some value on it's own.

It might be worth lining up a potential buyer just for that alone in case a buyer for the mill had no need for it .

Perhaps no sale of either alone without a sure sale of the other to someone else may yield a little more value for the seller.

Close to 30 years ago I bought my large rotary phase converter that was for sale with a lathe and a mill.
All I really wanted was the converter and transformer.

The seller wanted to sell all together or not at all so I decided to take the mill as well and arranged for a friend to take the lathe.
Jim

Thanks guys, The machine will most likely not come on the public market, I have been asked to value it between friends that are the sellers and buyers. What I can say is that this has a LOT of tooling and accessorizes with it, a whole roller cabinet tools chest full.

Your numbers are in the range I expected.

Well, it's commonly said that you will end up paying about as much for the tooling.

Personally I'd always rather choose my own tooling as a lot of tooling is dependent on the jobs being considered. So for me the tooling, and the RPC, would have little value, maybe to pick and choose some of the tooling at a bargain price would. I hope I never am forced to have a phase converter instead of three phase power in a machine shop.

I've been asked to buy the contents of tool boxes several times, and every time I had a soft heart about it I ended up with tools I never use.

I would say its worth somewhere in the 2-3k range. That's ignoring tooling since you haven't given any details and thats very hard to quantify. Not to mention that tooling frequently doesn't increase the value very much. Condition is pretty hard to value, and unless it looks really pristine it won't increase the price a ton. Its just too hard to quantify. The short bed and step pulleys are easy to see. Folks are going to be looking for a VFD not a rotary phase convertor too.

As others have said though, its highly location dependent. In the south Bridgeports seem to sell for a whole lot more than around me. I would guess where you are is at the lower end though.

Many short table BPs were made to service the Vietnam war manufacturers, and hit the second hand market in the 80s. We bought one as a backup to our 42". Found that it was the go to mill, as most jobs were vise oriented, small envelope. Bought a second, hired another mill hand. Good investment. art

Currently not for sale.

Thanks.

This means it is worthless, machines are worth whatever you can get for them. since it is not for sale you will get nothing for it, that makes it worth nothing.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm..... kind of like saying the Hope diamond isn't worth anything because it isn't for sale....:scratchchin::scratchchin:

Back