What's new
What's new

Van Norman/Kwik Way boring bar prices

kcr357

Plastic
What is a reasonable price to pay for a functional setup with tooling? Ebay seems right around 2k, but none are anywhere near me in S Fl.
Absolutely nothing on craigslist.
Also, if anyone has any better ideas on where to get one, Im all ears.

You want to make sure you get all the extras with it.........seen lots with bits missing..Catspaw,tool sharpening fixture,clamps.....and if you plan on doing motorbike work,get the table with it......A friend of mine made a very good income doing old motorbike barrels........but he also had a well equipped workshop to go with it....................and he used to buy up every one came up local to stop competition.

I bought mine in a sealed bid auction 25 years ago for 350 dollars, they were closing out a HS auto shop. They had paid 1600 for it, only a couple years earlier. Amazing little machine. Van Norman made good stuff.
Fleabay is top dollar on them.

Not surprising........friend charges $80 per bore,he is so good he takes no more than 2 minutes per hole,bores to within 1/2 thou,two or three strokes of a hone....and he also does a lot of resleeves for a lot more money..........and he buys every machine comes up for sale.

Not surprising........friend charges $80 per bore,he is so good he takes no more than 2 minutes per hole,bores to within 1/2 thou,two or three strokes of a hone....and he also does a lot of resleeves for a lot more money..........and he buys every machine comes up for sale.

Wow, I thought 65 was high.
NO ONE is S Fl even has a machine anymore, unless you're talking a high end auto performance shop. They wanted 165 for a dual cyl jet ski engine.

The little machines take a lot of operator skill,which doesnt seem to exist any more......friend does nothing but old bike work........and by saving $30 on a cheap rebore,you risk having a 70mph seizure that locks the back wheel and puts you on the road in the fast lane.So you tend to have your work done by the best....even if there is a six months waiting list...Correct sharpening of the cutter can be the difference between a good and a bad job.

I realize this post is a few months old, but My father just retired and has two complete Kwik-way Model "F" bars. Both are complete with tooling and set-up hardware. He's located near Austin Tx, but I'll bet he'd package them up for shipping. He also has a Kwik-way line boring machine as well. I'll put them up in the classified section, but feel free to call me if anyone is interested at $1800 ea. 702-994-9540

Back