Vertical Head Drive Plate - What material should i make it out of?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Vertical Head Drive Plate - What material should i make it out of?

I'm just getting around to getting the high speed universal vertical head cleaned up and fitted to the kempsmith universal horizontal mill and i need to make an adapter plate to drive the thing. The design couldn't be simpler. A 5 inch OD, 1 1/8 inch ID x approx 1 1/12 inch thick donut with a slot milled across the diameter to accept the drive dogs, four counter-bored bolt holes to mate up with the NMTB 50 taper spindle face and two 1/4 inch keyways broached into the ID to drive the shaft.

I have an old rusted disc of mystery metal (wheel weights from my Dad's garden tractor) that i could make this out of but it's very soft. Although the design is simple, there's a couple hours of work involved (i work at a glacial pace) and I learned from woodworking a long time ago, unless practicing, make stuff out of the best material you can afford. So, what's the right material to make this part from? I was thinking of just getting a slug of Durabar and going from there.

What say the cognescenti?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_20200216_160320769.jpg   img_20200215_172908124.jpg   imag0281-1-.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would use 8620, machines good, not hard like 4140, cheap and most alloy shaft suppliers should have it. If you can not find some 1045 or stressproof would work but 8620 is my pick....Phil

Post Thanks / Like

If a 50 NMTB spindle nose, make that part fit OVER the 5.0625" O.D. of that spindle nose - even if just a short "snap" fit

Then every time you put it on it will run true

4. Likes Illinoyance, 4GSR liked this post