What's new
What's new

Very cool Davis lathe for sale in hudson valley NY craigslist

Davis was a Rochester, NY machine tool builder, if I recall correctly. I think lathe itself seems somewhat like the "Liberty" lathes built for use in field machine shops during WWI. Sitting on the single pedestal as it does, it could be easily moved as a "unit" with less chance of legs breaking, and would be an easy machine tool to setup in the field.

It always amazes me as to what turns up in the way of old machine tools. This particular lathe, from the photo, appears to have been kept indoors, not rusty, and looks complete. On a 100 + year old lathe, wear is a given, but the old lathe may have plenty of use left in her.

I was lucky enough to purchase this old lathe and I'm happy to say, it's in excellent condition for its age. I'm in the process is striping all the old flaking paint off and redoing it. My original expectation was to do a complete overhaul, but she doesn't need it...which is nice. This is my first metal lathe and I'm sure this will suit my needs quite well.

If anyone has more information about this unique model, that would be greatly appreciated. I've seen the article in American Machinist, found a few other pictures of this style of lathe, and understand that "Davis Machine Tool Co" was a relatively short lived company on it's own, but had many partnerships. I'm a big fan of good old American Iron and love the history.

Thanks!

Back