What's new
What's new

Very early Bridgeport mystery head?

I get an "Adult content" page when I follow, and it will not let me in unless I register.

If I could figure out how to post pics here I would. There's no link to upload on this site as far as I can tell. Of course if anyone knows how, just click on the link I posted and download it here.

OK, to post a picture click on the icon of a painting of a tree right above the box you type in, after you choose file you need to click the upload files.
Picture icon is bottom row, 4th from left on my computer

If I could figure out how to post pics here I would.

You can also do it manually by typing [.i.m.g] and [/.i.m.g] before and after the URL. You have to remove the '.''s. I had to add them to make it visible.
In Flicker you have to use the "share" and bbcode to get access to the image URL.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4894/45725487972_05efe5b776_k.jpg becomes:

45725487972_05efe5b776_k.jpg

see if these pictures show up... one of them is a typical m head casting.

what are those 3 extra allen bolt holes for???? Ive never seen any m head with them. And theres no serial number lug on the side of the head.... Did bridgeport make several variations of the m head?m head large.jpg

Attachments

• 44862654095_a6a113f82c_q.jpg
    44862654095_a6a113f82c_q.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 130
  • m head typical .jpg
    m head typical .jpg
    9 KB · Views: 130
It's an early M with the quill sleeve missing. The first of the M's were slit top to bottom so that a shim could be removed to compensate for wear. I had a complete one--- #236 as I recall--- which was dated by the fellow at the Bridgeport CNC school as 1938. Serial #'s were stamped on the top of the aluminum belt box

Herb

Herb,
That's interesting to know. That makes sense. I thought it might have been another oddball head. I've seen a few unusual m heads on the internet with some interesting features that I never new existed. I think I'll strip some of paint and look for that slit. So I'm guessing the early heads did not have a stamped serial number anywhere on the iron casting, only on the aluminum top housing. Well, I appreciate that information? Thank you

No number any other place that I know of. Perhaps "shim" wasn't the best word- the piece is about a quarter inch thick, and apparently the idea was that you would dust off a thousandth or two from this with a surface grinder if the spindle got loose.
Clean off all the crusty paint, and it should start to make sense.

Glad to be of help.---Herb

I bet you will find the slit is packed
with wool felt and painted over many times.
Does Bridgeport #1 at the American Precision
Museum in Vermont have the split? I know
the heads were made before the machine.

-Doozer

Back