What's new
What's new

Very small shaper

partsproduction

Titanium
A local guy stopped by and wanted me to look at a shaper he had, on my way out the door with my camera and wife's admontion "Don't buy anything!" in my ears I went to his house. Here are some photo's;
IMG_0073.jpg
Just a side view, the stroke is 5 1/8" and is adjustable while running!
IMG_0080.jpg
The little crank handle adjusts the stroke.
IMG_0078.jpg
One end of the slider screw has a bevel gear , which transmits to another shaft which, through other bevel gears goes through axis shaft to crank handle.
IMG_0085.jpg
Close up of the ratchet feed

IMG_0083.jpg
Little 2" wide vise.
IMG_0075.jpg
Another view of the vise.
IMG_0082.jpg
View bottom of semi universal table.
IMG_0081.jpg
Bottom of elevating screw, shaft of which comes out at RH lower side of body.

IMG_0077.jpg
With a dollar bill for size.
IMG_0074.jpg
Current caretakers hand on crank.
IMG_0084.jpg
A view of the ram's clamp.

The shaper is not for sale, for which my wife is grateful. It obviously is setup for either V-belt power or hand power. There is a sticker on the door and the caretaker believes it is from the hardware store where the original builder later started in Portland Oregon before it became marxist.

Having never seen one of this exact type I have to think it was an engineering school project from the 1920-40's. There is no box support, but it has the adjustable slide available while under power. The fit and finish are very good, with tool marks from a shaper or planer on the flat surfaces. We are trying to find out more about the builder, and I'll add the name of that hardware store soon.
I saw a similar small shaper with the name "Barberton" and "North end machine shop" cast onto the door, and it looks more like a production shaper. It also has a 5 or 6" stroke. That shaper is in the collection of a former forum member along with about 50 old belt drive lathes.

Last edited:
The current caretaker emailed me the name on the sticker on the door, it's "Martin Tool Specialies Portland ,Or."

Several of us here would love to hear back from any of you if by chance you know anything about the man or the company, which is long gone I'm told.

The current caretaker emailed me the name on the sticker on the door, it's "Martin Tool Specialies Portland ,Or."

Several of us here would love to hear back from any of you if by chance you know anything about the man or the company, which is long gone I'm told.

Sounds like these guys

Martin Model & Pattern - your online source for fine quality patterns and castings

They aren’t totally gone just smaller than they were

I don’t see a shaper in their product list but wouldn’t be surprised if they used to have one

Yeah, i sold my 7" rhodes shaper because it took too much space and i no longer used it, but one THAT small i'd probably just toss on a shelf somewhere and take down for the rare times when it'd be nice to use =D

If it were for sale you could tell her you got a bookend so you didn't have to admit to buying another machine. She must have you figured out if she has to say that. Just yesterday I told someone I was not going to not be in town for the weekend and got" What kinda machine you bringin home now" No machine but you never know what you might see.

The vee groove pulley on the shaper is a clue as to age. That style and small size of vee groove would have been used with the round leather "sewing machine" type of belting. The little shaper is quite amazing for its detailed design, and learning who made it would be interesting. It is well built enough to do some real work, yet too small to really have a place in a working machine shop. It might have found a place in a shop working on smaller jobs like instrument parts or small prototype work, or may have been intended for home/model engineering work. It is a notch or two above most light machine tools made for the "home" or "hobby" markets years ago, so has me thinking it was made with the instrument and prototype shops in mind.

The PM Research kit is patterned after the full-size machine shown in the Strelinger catalog, not after a casting kit. Strelinger did not offer casting kits, to my knowledge.

Andy

A Book of Tools: Being a Catalogue of Tools, Supplies, Machinery, and ... - Strelinger, Chas. A., & co., Detroit, Mich - Google Books

Strelinger did provide some casting kits, see page 328 and many following. I don't see that they provided machine tool castings but, as often proves out later, I could be wrong. Google books has I think 11 Strelinger catalogs from the 1890's so it is very hard to know for sure.

I built a horizontal 1/4 HP PM research engine, which is some level of a copy of one of the casting kits on that page, I don't know how close a copy it is. They also provided partially completed kits for the more difficult parts, the crank for instance available finished with the castings, etc.

But when I said that the small shaper was built from a casting kit I didn't mean Strelinger's, and it may have been cast from scratch in a school foundry. I find that even more amazing, because the castings are of very good quality.

Back