What's new
What's new

Victor S M Co Micrometer

CWC(4)

Cast Iron
I thought I saw a thread about these micrometers quite a while ago, but don't remember where.
I picked this up fairly recent at a small antique flea market. Can anyone tell me when this dates from?
1870's, 1880's ? this is the second one of this design that I've found. The other one was marked
Brown & Sharpe which I imagine was a bit later (?) than this one.
Thanks in advance.
CWC(4)

Victor S. M. micrometer 005.jpgVictor S. M. micrometer 003.jpg

Nice condition.
According to Cope, Victor started making micrometers about 1878.
Search this site using "Victor micrometer" for considerable ifo.

Steve

That looks like a nice clean example of a Victor. B & S bought them out in the early '80s and kept making the same design for a short time under their name. I think the B & S marked ones may be rarer than the Victors as I have seen less of them.

Did the folks you got it from know what it was? Roughly what did you have to give for it. A while back these were bringing a stronge $ 300+, in the original box closer to $ 800+. I don't know what a reasonable market price is today? Anyone want to chime in on that?

Thanks for the replies & information.
I got this cheap. I thought it might be a good one when I looked at it, so I bought it. I got it from a young picker who gets stuff from local auctions, estate sales etc. to resell at the flea market. Surprisingly, it was still there after the antique tool dealers had been through.
The Brown and Sharp example I had (I sold it to a collector who needed it more than I did) was not as clean as this one. I got that one at an estate sale late in the day, it and a spring caliper were the only tools left. They charged me $2. for it. I paid 2 1/2 times that for the Victor.
CWC(4)

Last edited:
I can;t offer anything on the value, but did see a B&S years ago. An old timer who started in the trade in the late 30's had a B&S with 1/2 " travel that was virtually identical. Nice score.

JH

Your Victor mic would have brought near $300 on Ebay a bit ago. One of the early classics.

I haven't been following auctions in recent years, but suspect the market is down. Younger folks are not so interested in this stuff, older folks and/or their interest are gradually disappearing.

Shame -- the development of the precision screw thread was a key to the entire industrial revolution; right through to semiconductor manufacturing equipment.

I bought one from an eBay auction about 9 months ago for $241. I hope to keep the collecting of antique machinist tools alive. I am 28 and do not plan on ever stopping. What fascinates me is exactly what you stated about the precision screw thread and the American System of Interchangeable Parts. It blows my mind not many people in my generation find this topic interesting.

Thanks for the replies & information.
I got this cheap. I thought it might be a good one when I looked at it, so I bought it. I got it from a young picker who gets stuff from local auctions, estate sales etc. to resell at the flea market. Surprisingly, it was still there after the antique tool dealers had been through.
The Brown and Sharp example I had (I sold it to a collector who needed it more than I did) was not as clean as this one. I got that one at an estate sale late in the day, it and a spring caliper were the only tools left. They charged me $2. for it. I paid 2 1/2 times that for the Victor.
CWC(4)

I don't buy lottery tickets. I find poking around flea markets and antique shops more fun and there is that slim chance of getting a winner. Nice score!

Larry

esywjVy.png

Such a deal.

Someone is out of touch.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 12-28-18 at 12.28 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 12-28-18 at 12.28 AM.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
To revive an old thread and possibly add to it, I found these pictures in a copy of 1887 Brown&Sharpe catalog.
Although Brown & Sharpe have their name on it, they list for sale a "Victor Micrometer Caliper". On the same page of this catalog, they show a picture of their "Improved Micrometer Caliper" for only $0.50 more. I believe this was the last showing of the Victor. Perhaps, it was only shown to promote the new improved micrometer.

I just bought this Brown & Sharpe Victor Micrometer on Ebay with a April 23, 1878 patent on it. This patent was granted George Pratt and Victor SM company for the new C-shape frame, and for a hardened steel spindle tip insert, which made it unnecessary to harden the entire ground screw and possibly deform it during production. My sample was made later than 1878 between 1883 when B&S bought the Victor micrometer division with its patent and 1887 when it appeared in their catalog for the last time.
2aa58436341fa15b47b2f6827324b64f.jpg
95c9e7c18952c87e55698b69ffb52642.jpg
8e74a9d747cd58ff4bb7011e28bfb591.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
16403bdd74321d709102ccb8c33f3534.jpg
1b4a3f202816bf23bf937205bc10a973.jpg

a055829d50242d6d99b50dbabc8ce07f.jpg

I have the 1884 improved version - there has been a few passing through Ebay - some quite reasonably priced, another (at least one) in the couple hundred dollar range which I thought exceptional. As in still there after an exceptionally long time.

After the improved version, the micrometers didn't change so much - mostly details and appendages.

Joe in NH

esywjVy.png

Such a deal.

Someone is out of touch.

Excellent buy !

I and a friend both wondered how we missed it.

Sometimes eBAY just does this.

I bought a neat old Victor Pocket Block plane a couple of years ago, for about $225 - a nice deal.

I'm not sure how I discovered it, but found using every likely keyword never gave it as a result.

Back