What's new
What's new

...Video...Big Old Herbert...

Thank you for posting lathefan (I seem to write that sentence a lot regarding your posts :)).

That is one beautiful machine. I have never ran a turret lathe, much less one that size, but the video reminds me of a Lodge and Shipley engine lathe I did run many years ago. Was about that size, but had a much longer bed. The term "behemoth" comes to mind.

Interestingly, these huge old machines are not that much work to run. The VTL I run extensively where I work now is pretty big, all manual, and is quite easy to operate. Tomorrow I will start turning out an 800 MM (approximately 31 1/2") rotary table top. Actually turning out the top doesn't bother me, the loading and unloading, and indicating in the part is where the work is.

Cool factory video. Not sure why they just repeated the same basic shot from a slightly different angle so many times.

I find it hilarious that they looked to have a fleet of early CNC lathes making parts for their turret lathes. It's like buying a Model T to deliver buggy whips.

Back