What's new
What's new

...Video...Brand New Yogi Lathe Leaves the Factory...

Chuck up a 8-1/4" OD 31 foot drill collar in it and see how this lathe will hold up!!!! I bet it won't make it in the first 10 minutes of use! Something will break!

Personally, I love moving heavy machinery while wearing sandals.

Actually, they're steel toed flipflops. I think my 13" Sheldon has a heavier tailstock.

My rollback driver hails from Gujarat.....reckon he was run outa town for bustin a Yogi same way as he delivered my Swift........Still ,Id hire those guys to move a lathe....sandals just make ya careful.

So, why is there a handwheel in the gap?

allan

might be the cross feed screw and handwheel that was taken off before they put it in the truck to avoid bending it during loading/unloading, look carefully at the beginning of the vid, it is still in the correct place coming out of the building, and then later missing from the cross slide when they are loading it on the truck

I like how the young guy at the end of the truck can't be bothered to get out of the way while he's playing on his phone. Even a world away things are still the same.

Watched a couple of U tubes from Indian machinery dealers.....of the hundreds of machines,some huge,only brand I recognized on a lathe was Torrent,and a couple of signs on machines referring to Japanese licence built.....One dealer must have had 500 machines under one huge roof.

While you guys are hating, and I kind of agree, their designs aren't too far off of 100 year old 1st world country machinery. Probably holds up for their use. I've seen plenty of 3rd world lathes doing 3rd world jobs... poorly. But longer than 10 minutes. They took ancient machinery, added one modern feature (big bore) and shipped it. Who am I to say they are wrong?

Didn't American Tool works have machines cast in India at the end?

The HMT is Hindustan Machine Tools http://www.hmtmachinetools.com/bangalore-complex.htm

American HMT Engine Lathe JIC-EGQ | eBay

Yes they did and I own one. Mine's bigger than the one you pictured, but otherwise exactly the same machine. This does not compare whatsoever to the Yogi. All the clutches and gearing in the headstock are beautifully made in the USA. All electrics are US as well. The one STUPID thing it has is a 4MT in the 200 pound tailstock. Should be at least a 5. I blame that on American.

Back