What's new
What's new

Video...Grinding Lathe Ways in Brazil...

It's not Brazil, Portuguese is spoken in Brazil, Spanish is spoken in tne video and the title as well is in Spanish.

I thought about similar.. Using the milled bed area as a guide to regrind the bed. yes only if the mill or planer machined areas ran .003 or so and the functional bed was off .015 or more. Agree it would not be made right, just better.

re RODELU; [It's not Brazil, Portuguese is spoken in Brazil, Spanish is spoken in tne video and the title as well is in Spanish.]

And so perhaps it is not even a lathe they are grinding, but a red 1947 ford pick-up truck.

It's not Brazil, Portuguese is spoken in Brazil, Spanish is spoken in tne video and the title as well is in Spanish.

Spanish is spoken in many places, how about a little help in addressing the location error ?

Digger Doug: The narrator's accent is from somewhere south of the Rio Bravo, I can only exclude Argentina, Uruguay and perhaps Chile.
Michiganbuck: With over 14.000 posts I would expect you could tell the difference between a Ford frame and a lathe bed.

I'll have to admit, that I have considered a similar setup for a clapped out SB 16 I have..................not practical to spend a lot on, but if it made the bed "better" or at least to where it could be worked down more accurately, it could be saved from salvage..........I hate to scrap one.
I cringe that there wasn't more effort to contain swarf, some guarding and a good vacuum could save from a big mess.

Plus the take-off amount would need to be considered because the take from the angles would be different than that from the flats. Grinding with too hard or fine grit wheel might cause a burn and warp of the bed and so likely make it worse if that should happen....perhaps so scrapping the lathe.

With not being good at trig, one can simply draw the form at a 10x scale and then measure with a scale and get .001 close to actual.

QT:[Michiganbuck: With over 14.000 posts I would expect you could tell the difference between a Ford frame and a lathe bed.]

1947 ford red pickup truck photo - Bing

Back