What's new
What's new

Who can tell me about J.T. Slocomb micrometers?

brianweldor

Cast Iron
I just received my grandfather's toolbox from my Dad over the weekend. He was a machinist for many years in the Cleveland area. The box says "Corbin" on the latch. I don't know if that is the name of the latch manufacturer or the box manufacturer. There are two micrometers with the name "J.T. Slocomb, Providence RI". Can anyone tell me about these companies? I've always been interested in the history of the people and companies that made all this possible, and it is thrilling to be able to use the same tools that my Grandfather used so many years ago. Alas, he passed away before I started to begin metalworking, but it is nice to see his initials on all these tools.

Brian,

There is a well illustrated description here:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/slocomb-micrometer-repair-185226/

of the repair for a commonly occurring operator-caused problem with these mikes which is caused by incorrect re-assembly after they have been dismantled.

Using the search function I could not find the thread with the photos of the instructions printed on the Slocomb box referred to by L Vanice which someone kindly posted for me some time ago. However, since I have an 1897 patent date Slocomb micrometer - also inherited from my grandfather - I downloaded the photos of the box when they appeared, and still have them on my computer. A couple are too big to post using the Board software (3 photos totalling about 400 kilobytes) and I don't have an account with a photo hosting service to allow me to post larger photos, but if you would like copies PM me with an e-mail address.

franco.

Well, I can tell you this much......I've been buying them off Ebay, one at a time for over a year. I don't think I've paid more than $20, and that one was literally new in the box. As a result I've got a nice set of good quality mics with a proven history. No, they're not Starrett but the thousanths of an inch don't seem to care. None of mine have a spindle lock which would be a nice touch, but I concentrated on good condition. I've seen perfectly good Slocombs offered at .99 opening bid and no takers! A shame....they're just a good quality tool, period.

Most people aren't aware that the Slocomb patent was for the little toothed sleeves inside for taking up thread wear. They adjust (to a standard) like any other micrometer with a little spanner, but I can't think of any others that provide something that allows for the age of the spindle threads...as a result they seem to just go on and on doing their job. It took me a couple of trys before I understood how to reassemble one correctly, but once you realize what the designer had in mind it becomes obvious. To reassemble, push the loose toothed sleeve tight against the spring pressure and seated against the other toothed sleeve. Hold tight with your fingers and screw the spindle back in until both sleeves are engaged. Now check for any end play in the spindle. Even the tiniest slop can be removed by backing the spindle back out, rotating the little sleeve to the next tooth and reinserting the spindle. Just keep it up until the spindle runs in and out smoothly with no end play and the sleeves are tight together. Now you can use the little spanner and your standard to calibrate the mic and you're done. No need to fiddle with the sleeves again.......at least in your lifetime!

By the way, the year 1897 is the patent date NOT the year it was made. Slocomb evidently made the same design for many, many years.

I like 'em!

A very long time ago I worked for a company that bought custom micrometers from Slocomb. Their claim to fame was that they controlled costs by rolling the threads, not grinding them. No idea if that was for all mics, later mics or just specials.

CH

I remember my Dad had what he called a Slocomb drill for his South Bend lathe. I think it was a center drill. Was it different from the other center drills?
Bill D.

Bill,

The Slocomb Co. catalog number 18 offers the observation that they "have been perfecting the combination center drill since 1891." It may have been that they were an early developer of the combination center drill, but the catalog pictures are indistinguishable from any other center drill.

When I was an apprentice, many moons ago, double barrelled Slocomb micrometers were used quite a lot by the inspection dept. With two spindles on one frame, they could be set to "Go" and "No Go"

JT Slocomb double barrel micrometer

I'm guessing this is the one mentioned in this thread. With all the cool stuff I've seen on this forum, it wouldn't surprise me if someone posted a triple barrel.

Attachments

• P1000166_1.JPG
    P1000166_1.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,446
I've seen the toothed nut or similar arrangement on another brand as well.... and other wear-takeup methods

I also got a Slocomb 0-1 in an old Gerstner box that was likely bought in the 1920s..

I've also got a couple of Slocomb mikes, they seem fine to me. I lot of the older guys I served my time with used the word " Slocomb " as a generic term for a centre drill. Regards Tyrone.

I remember my Dad had what he called a Slocomb drill for his South Bend lathe. I think it was a center drill. Was it different from the other center drills?
Bill D.

If I recall, Slocomb patented the 'center drill' as we know it today. Likely the earlier generations carried that name into common usage, like we today refer to 'crescent' wrench or 'kleenex'.

Thanks.
Tom

I have a JTSlocomb mike with two patent dates...May 12 96......and .Aprill 13 97 This is a 1 inch to 2 inch version. It was at a car boot sale in Norwich for £1 .....

I just received my grandfather's toolbox from my Dad over the weekend. He was a machinist for many years in the Cleveland area. The box says "Corbin" on the latch. I don't know if that is the name of the latch manufacturer or the box manufacturer. There are two micrometers with the name "J.T. Slocomb, Providence RI". Can anyone tell me about these companies? I've always been interested in the history of the people and companies that made all this possible, and it is thrilling to be able to use the same tools that my Grandfather used so many years ago. Alas, he passed away before I started to begin metalworking, but it is nice to see his initials on all these tools.

Does anyone have spare parts for J. T. Slocomb Co. micrometers? I need a Short Nut-D and Nickel Silver
Spring-E which goes on the thimble spindle. Thanks.

Bill D.

Maybe a "Carpenter Drill" - the conventional center drill but it was introduced by a different Providence, RI company. Slocumb & cCarpenter can't have been very far from each other - Providence isn't all that big. I have both the Carpenter and Slocumb catalogs, Neither are dated but both pre-date WWI. The center drills are in the catalog. I've also heard them called Carpenter Drills - in England.

Does anyone have spare parts for J. T. Slocomb Co. micrometers? I need a Short Nut-D and Nickel Silver
Spring-E which goes on the thimble spindle. Thanks.

They're great mics, but they aren't rare. If yours is sentimental, then I think robbing parts from another mic (preferably a damaged one) would be your only source. I replaced a missing take-up spring in one with an off-the-shelf spring, but everything else is likely unobtanium.

Back