What's new
What's new

Video...Noble Foundry Lathe...Rome Georgia...

A nice piece of history. I would love to see it someday. I have done some digging on Gage Warner & Whitney. I found the date of 1847 interesting. Some of the history seems incorrect on one side of the equation. Gage Warner & Whitney was formed in December of 1851. Warner and Whitney joined a partnership with John H Gage. Gage had started out building lathes and planers at the Nashua Manufacturing Co In 1837. His shop burned down in 1843. Several sources also claim that John H Gage built the first engine lathe in this country which of course is incorrect. There is a bunch of drawings of machines built by Gage Warner & Whitney and information about the shop in a machinery publication from the 1890s.

I decide to take the family and drive the one hour to Rome and get some better pictures of this machine, about 270 pictures in all. I was a little surprised at how much of this lathe could be dissembled. The headstock casting looked like it would be the most difficult to move. Due to the shadows it was a little difficult to get good pictures.

Nathan

gage warner whitney 1.jpggage warner whitney 2.jpggage warner whitney 3.jpggage warner whitney 4.jpggage warner whitney 5.jpg

On my way to Atlanta, I took a little detour to Rome around 1985 after seeing something in the AAA tour book about the lathe. A few years later, I made my first visit to the American Precision Museum and gave Ed Battison a copy of this picture. He had not known about the lathe.

The steam engine was added after my visit.

Larry

RomeGALathe.jpg

Back