What's new
What's new

Vintage Bandsaw for sale (not mine)

mjr6550

Aluminum
I drove past this bandsaw this morning and stopped on the way back to look at it. No visible markings. I'm guessing late 1800's or early 1900's, but I'm no expert. I doubt anyone would want it, and don't know what they want for it. Its at a place called reclaimed relics, so I'm guessing that they want more than scrap value. Just thought someone might find the photos interesting.

Attachments

• P6225823.jpg
    P6225823.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 353
  • P6225827.jpg
    P6225827.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 287
  • P6225825.jpg
    P6225825.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 273
  • P6225824.jpg
    P6225824.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 266
  • P6225826.jpg
    P6225826.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 253
Shipsaw design, possibly with sliding table. Is the star knob on upper wheel hub for tracking? Does it look like the upper wheel arbor tilts for bevel cuts?
Interesting resto project.

-Marty-

I believe the defining feature of ship saws, at least the large ones, is the ability for the saw to rotate about the work (even during the cut). This looks like a conventional bandsaw with a tilting table. The last photo shows the trunnion for adjusting the table.

The star wheel is for tracking. The upper spindle pivots on a hinge. This saw has a very cool hub and spoke design.

-Adair

I am not a bandsaw expert. I had to look up what a shipsaw is. The frame does not tilt, so I guess it would not be considered a shipsaw. I wondered about tracking. I had not given through to the know being a tracking adjustment.

I looked at quite a few old photos after seeing this saw and have not seen any with the same wheel design. I assume you can see from the photos that the rims are wood.

Not ship saw, not sliding table - Tracking is adjusted with the center knob on the upper wheel.
The wood rims look in good shape now, but if the saw is left out, they'll be history soon enough, and the saw will be worthless to most -
Seller is a moron.
Many over on OWWM would covet that saw.

Not ship saw, not sliding table - Tracking is adjusted with the center knob on the upper wheel.
The wood rims look in good shape now, but if the saw is left out, they'll be history soon enough, and the saw will be worthless to most -
Seller is a moron.
Many over on OWWM would covet that saw.

I cross-posted over there. Hopefully someone gets it. Old Bandsaw in PA Needs a Home - Old Woodworking Machines

M.B. your link is not working for some reason. It won't let me view the post, even when I'm logged in over on their website.

I got a message that they pulled the thread for forum rule violation. I guess they don't like cross-posting or posting an ad for someone else's machine...

Looks like an Atlantic Works saw.
Atlantic Works Inc. - History | VintageMachinery.org

I have one mouldering away in my restoration queue that needs new wheels. Figure it will be an interesting exercise in steam bending.

The biggest "gotcha" with these is the lower wheel bearing. Tricky bastard to repour as the bottom shell is part of the frame casting. So the shaft alignment needs to be dead on when poured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a message that they pulled the thread for forum rule violation. I guess they don't like cross-posting or posting an ad for someone else's machine...

They have a number of rules like that - Not allowed to reference a machine on e-bay, or craigslist, etc, etc. :nono:

Back