What's new
What's new

Vintage G&E Shaper and Hand Cranked Planer

R. T.

Plastic
Some years (actually decades) ago I acquired a couple of vintage machine tools: a small Gould & Eberhardt shaper and a hand cranked planer. My intention was to restore these, but life happened, and I never got around to it. Now I'm in the process of selling my southwestern Connecticut house, have dismantled my shop, and have to dispose of these tools. I'd really like to see them go to someone that would appreciate them rather than just cart them off to the scrap yard. Which brings me to this forum.

My hope is that someone here can help me more accurately identify these machines and perhaps give me some guidance as to their value (if any). Also, any suggestions as to where I might list them for sale would certainly be appreciated.

Shaper 2.jpg You can see multiple pictures of the first tool, the small Gould & Eberhardt shaper mentioned above, here (http://www.rtonthe.net/Vintage/Shaper.html if the link doesn't work). I think this dates from the 1880's, but I 'm not sure. I've separated the ram and the table/vise from the body of the machine to make it easier to move around (the body weighs in at 560lbs and the separated parts add another couple hundred). There is no serial number or model designation on the machine (none that I can find, anyway). Turning the drive pulley by hand, the maximum stroke appears to be about 9". That's adjusted for absolute maximum, however; I suspect the rated stroke was probably more like 8", but I have no idea what rating practices were in those days. The fore-and-aft position of the ram is adjustable over a 15" range.

The machine is in good working and cosmetic condition. There is little if any corrosion on it, and everything (including ram, tool head adjustment, and clapper box) move smoothly and freely. The only missing part is the handle which fits the hex-taper on the vise (a 7/8" deep socket will work if you can't find an authentic handle). The original drive was via a belt to the 4-step pulley on the machine... probably from a steam or water powered line shaft. A previous owner added a countershaft with V-belt pulleys so an electric motor drive could be used.

Planer 1.jpg The second tool, a small hand cranked planer is pictured here (http://www.rtonthe.net/Vintage/Planer.html if the link doesn't work). I know even less about this machine than I do about the shaper. It has no markings of any kind -- it may be a one-off. Again to save weight while moving the machine, I've separated the table, which measures 12" by 25" (not counting the drip gutters at each end), from the machine. (The table weighs over 150lbs and I'm an 80 year old woose, so I can't lift the table onto the bed by myself.) The bed is 40" long and the cross feed height is adjustable over a 17" range.

The planer is in good working condition and like the shaper shows little or no corrosion. It does sport a really ugly "aluminum" paint job by a previous owner. The machine is complete with all of the (very few) parts needed for a manually operated planer EXCEPT the 1/2"-12 square-head mounting bolts for the gantry (proper nomenclature for a one-piece component comprising the two vertical columns and top cross-piece?). The mounting plates are tapped for these (8 needed), but 7/16 bolts, washers, and nuts can be used until authentic fasteners can be acquired.

I look forward to any wisdom the forum members would be willing to share regarding these two machines.

--RT

WOW!!! Are they in Georgia??? I'm in Georgia and I'd LOVE to have them!!! I'll send you a PM

I believe they are in Connecticut.

"Now I'm in the process of selling my southwestern Connecticut house, have dismantled my shop, and have to dispose of these tools."

The shaper was made just before the May 17, 1881 patent.

A nice chain drive planer.

Rob

Yes, they have value to people who collect old machinery. I'm one of them, and could be interested in these machines. Do you know yet how to use the private message system here? Thanks.

Don't worry about missing 1/2" -12 capscrews, they are easy to make. Nice machines, I don't think you will have any trouble finding a home for them.

Rob Lang
Because of the different signatures on the base and body of the shaper (one with "E. Gould" one with just "Gould") I'd suspected the shaper was manufactured in the 1880-1881 time frame. Thanks for confirming that.

Hit Miss Engine
I don't really have any firm offers yet. Any idea of what they are worth?

wdTom
I saw in other threads that replacing the forged, 1/2"-12 bolts was not an unusual problem with these old machines. I'm glad to hear that's an easy problem to fix.

--RT

I've done a little research on the value of these machines as collectibles. Unfortunately, I've seen everything from the low hundreds to the low thousands advertised. Both extremes seem a little off... the low end is barely above scrap metal price and the high end is -- well, I just can't imagine anyone actually paying that! Anyone have any suggestions? I suppose I can always throw these onto eBay and see what an auction listing comes up with...

I found some info on hand cranked planers built by Schneider & Goosmann Machine Co. (or Fred Schneider or F & G) of Cincinnati around the turn of the 20th century. These appear similar in design and style to mine, but nothing definitive enough to identify it. Anyone have a guess?

I would like to make you an offer but seeing how I was not first to respond to your add I will wait and let those before me make any offers... like you mentioned the prices on these machines are hard to gauge... it just might be a piece someone has been waiting for and willing to pay a little extra for and maybe not... I feel as if most the serious antique machine collectors on this forum will do you right on their offers.

Rob Lang
Because of the different signatures on the base and body of the shaper (one with "E. Gould" one with just "Gould") I'd suspected the shaper was manufactured in the 1880-1881 time frame. Thanks for confirming that.
RT

The patent of May 17, 1881 was for adjusting the crank pin from the outside.
It was applied for on March 2, 1881. Patent 241,488.

Patent Images

US241488A - Adjustable crank-pin - Google Patents

Yours does not have this patent, so it was probably made in late 1880 or very very early 1881.
Here is an American Machinist article, from July 1880, showing one of their improved shapers.
Made in 8, 10, 15, 17 and 20 inch strokes.

American machinist. v.3 1880. - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library | HathiTrust Digital Library

After the patent was granted G&E cast that date on the side of the shaper.

I have one like yours that has the E. Gould & Eberhardt markings with the new patent feature but no patent date cast on the side.
I think mine was made after the patent was applied for but before the patent was granted.

Rob

Attachments

• G&E shaper #420 16_LI.jpg
    G&E shaper #420 16_LI.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 161
  • G&E shaper #420 5_LI.jpg
    G&E shaper #420 5_LI.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 165
  • G&E shaper #420 17_LI.jpg
    G&E shaper #420 17_LI.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 218
  • G&E shaper #420 19_LI.jpg
    G&E shaper #420 19_LI.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 269
  • G&E shaper 5.jpg
    G&E shaper 5.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 148
I would like to make you an offer but seeing how I was not first to respond to your add I will wait and let those before me make any offers... like you mentioned the prices on these machines are hard to gauge... it just might be a piece someone has been waiting for and willing to pay a little extra for and maybe not... I feel as if most the serious antique machine collectors on this forum will do you right on their offers.

I'm out, as mentioned above the machines are in CT and not traveling back to Georgia with him. I already have a similar era Hendey shaper so not a huge loss there... it is the smallish planar that had my eye. :)

I didn't offer an estimate of the value in my last post as others are probably more knowledgeable about that then I am. However since you haven't had much response in that area I will add my 1 cents worth. Not up and running-reduces value. Old and look in good condition-adds to value. No motor for shaper-buyer will have to have or buy a motor. Other than for historical value who wants a hand powered planer. Might have to figure a way to power it and not destroy historical value by hacking original parts or otherwise making it so it can't be put back to hand power. Anyway I think around $1,ooo each would be good, maybe a little less for the shaper as they seem to be more common, maybe a little more for the planer if you can find someone who wants it for historical value, if someone wants it mainly for use as a planer then probably less than $1000. My estimate boils down to $700 to $1100 or $1200 each. But as has been said it could be less or more depending.

wdTom
Thanks for the input on valuation -- sounds like it's in the right ball park.

Shaper 14.jpg

Also, thanks for reminding me that I do have a motor for the shaper. I've attached a couple of thumbnails to this post. I didn't include it originally 'cause I didn't think anyone would be interested in it. But reconsidering, despite appearance it might be workable, at least for the short term, and the metal base, spring loaded clutch (for inching the ram), and V-belt pulley might be of use even if the motor isn't.

Shaper 15.jpg

The motor is 1/4hp, 110vac, 1725rpm of ancient Westinghouse Electric manufacture. It does run and the clutch does work, but for how long and how well I don't know.

--RT

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I've decided on an initial asking price for these machines: $750 for each or $1250 for the pair. I'll be posting the $750 individual offers to eBay and other sites next week, but I wanted to give this forum a few days heads-up before I do in case any of you are interested. Also, the $1250 combo price is for members of this forum only.

Thanks again,
--RT.

Vintage G&E Shaper -- New Price

Well, I've found no takers for the E&B shaper at $750, and my CT house is up for sale, so I'm forced to drop the price. How does $500 sound to you?

--RT

Back