What's new
What's new

Vintage Stanley Bench Grinder Number 677 - disassembly

JLSutton

Plastic
I just acquired this machine (I think it's a #677 grinder) from an estate sale for $50. I started to disassemble the grinder and ran into a problem right off. I can't figure out how to remove the inside washer from the shaft.
Does anybody have experience working on this type of grinder?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jon

IMG_1505.jpgIMG_1506.jpg

You can always take it to a 2nd or 3rd floor window and chuck it, always works for me.

Re-assembly is a bit tricky tho.

In all seriousness I have no clue but good luck!

Hard to tell what I'm looking at. Is that the inboard washer for clamping the wheel? If it's just stuck on the shaft you might try a few taps with a dead-blow hammer or a claw puller. Looks like the threads stop short of it which is different from most modern grinders. I'm guessing it might be press-fit onto there against a shoulder. Might need a puller in that case.

I would agree that the flange may have been pressed on .
I would remove the guard if the bore in it is larger than the flange and then use a puller to carefully remove the flange .
On a similar grinder of a different brand that I have I had to pull the flanges with a puller .
After taking the motor apart I was able to press the grinding wheel flanges back on and then put the assembled motor without the base between centers in the lathe and faced both flanges so that they ran true without any wobble.
If you don't have a large enough lathe you can true up the flanges in other ways when the motor is running with a file or another tool slide and take very light cuts .
You may get lucky and the flanges will press back on and run perfectly true .
You can true the grinding wheels with a dresser to run true even if there is a little wobble in the flanges afterwards.
Jim

My thinking is the flanges were pressed onto the arbor. The simple logic of 'how did they put it together in the first place with those flanges on the arbor' along with the practicalities of hogging a relatively small diameter arbor from a large diameter blank weigh in favor of the flanges being pressed on. At the Stanley Works, I am sure they had a hydraulic press and fixtures to press the flanges onto the arbors and seat them against a shoulder. I've had experience with disassembling press fit machine parts. Rather than rely entirely on brute force, which often is a bit more than was required to press the parts together, I'd suggest 'giving things a little help'. Apply heat to the flanges with a small torch flame. Something like a very small brazing tip on an oxyacetylene torch, or a 'Mapp' torch will work. Rotate the arbor as you apply the heat to the flanges, keeping the torch flame well back from the arbor. This will expand the flange slightly. You can keep a puller setup on the arbor and flange, maintaining a strain on the puller screw. As you add heat, takeup on the puller screw. After you have a good hard strain on the puller screw and have gotten the flange hot, it should break loose. Another old mechanic's trick, when this sort of setup does not break things loose, is to give the head of the puller screw a solid blow with a steel hammer. Not a love tap, but a real blow with a steel hammer having some weight to it will often cause things like this to break loose- often with a good, rewarding 'bang' when it happens.

Jim Christie's post reminds me of the old time saw mill arbors. The collars (or flanges) against which the saw blade was clamped, were heated and shrunk onto the arbors, seated against a shoulder. After the arbor was setup in its bearings, some saw filers or saw mill operators would true and 'cone' the face of the collar or flange in place. This was done using an old lathe compound slide clamped onto anything handy. Some sawmills, running large circular saws ('round saws') would require that the faces of the flanges on the arbor be faced at a slight angle. This put a 'cone' onto the sawblade when it was at rest. At speed, the circular saw would 'flatten out'.

For the OP's grinder, I am sure if care is taken, the flanges will seat squarely against the shoulders on the arbor/motor shaft. Cleaning up the mating surfaces with a fine oilstone to remove burrs once things are apart is a good idea. Heating the flanges (the kitchen oven works well for this if you can get away with it) will expand them so they may be reassembled on the arbor with a light driving rather than a pressing. A piece of steel pipe, ends faced square, will make a good tool for either driving or pressing the flanges back onto the arbor when reassembly time rolls around (sorry about that pun- could not resist it).

BTW: the coefficient of expansion of steel is 0.0000056 inches/inch degree F. (I carry this around in my head as I am an old time engineer, more like a dinosaur).
If the arbor is 5/8" diameter, a 0.625" diameter bore heated a total of 300 degrees F will expand 0.00105". 0.001" may not sound like much expansion, but on a small diameter bore with a press fit, it can make life a whole lot easier.

I take the view that a press fit results in a forced stretching of the metal in the female part. When I design or make up parts to go together with interference fits, I prefer to use shrink fits. On existing work, such as getting a large shaft coupling hub off a shaft 'out in the field', a bit of heat with a torch makes the job a lot easier. Press fits, in my experience, often require more force to break apart than was required to assemble the parts.

The arbor is its own press.

Simply slide on and add enough washers to allow the nut to press into place.

For removal a little heat along with a puller.

You may need to build a cup or other method of attachment to grab the flange.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

about 25 years ago i got one that was the same thing sold under the kc brand . the guards and rest were trash [bad design ]. any way at school there was a set of baldor guards with covers but no rest that the instructor let me have . to adapted the guards to the grinder i made some sleeve that i drilled and tap the face to mach the bolt pattern of the baldor guards and drilled and taped the outside of the sleeve for three Allen set screws to hold the assy to the grinder . i made the tool rest from channel iron . the reason i put the remains on the guard sleeve were the org rest went . is if you take the guard assy off and run a wire wheel or buffer wheel with out that collar on there debris will or can get in the bearing . have never needed them but you never know . oh and about your washer the one on mine just came off . one last thing the one i have is 220 volt single phase only

001.jpg002.jpg

Last edited:
I just acquired this machine (I think it's a #677 grinder) from an estate sale for $50. I started to disassemble the grinder and ran into a problem right off. I can't figure out how to remove the inside washer from the shaft.
Does anybody have experience working on this type of grinder?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jon

View attachment 320986View attachment 320987
Yes, the inner flanges are press fit on. You can remove them with a gear puller but they might bend a bit. You can straighten them out If the inner flange is not trued up (straightened) it might drag on the inner stone guard. This is an excellent grinder for sharpening plane blades and chisels followed with a good fine, flat oil stone. I have one and cherish using it because it is the best I have ever used. When you use it, be sure and true up your stone. It should be an aluminum oxide, fine grit stone. Be sure and square up the blade you are sharpening when tightening the shuttle. And only use this side of the grinder to sharpen your best plane irons and chisels. Congratulations!

Back