What's new
What's new

A Vintage Vice or Clamp?

veebee-au

Plastic
Hi,
I am hoping someone clever can identify this vice or clamp I recently acquired.
After a lot of searching, the best two options I cam up with was it is a Jewellers Vice, or a Blacksmiths Leg Vise - but it is missing (is broken), so it makes it hard to identify.

It is marked as 'Made in USA', and has "H _ W CO" marked on it also (thinking it is HTW CO)
The round bit which is turned by the handled, looks like it had a spring inside it, and there is obviously something broken off the side of it.

It does not look like it has the capacity to have the jaws of a vice - but that might be what is broken off.

I would love to identify what it is, and roughly date it, as I have a couple of bets going with friends.

Thank you in advance
V

Attachments

• 20210414_212950.jpg
    20210414_212950.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210414_212928.jpg
    20210414_212928.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210414_213009.jpg
    20210414_213009.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 136
  • 20210414_212942.jpg
    20210414_212942.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 118
From the pictures, I'd say what you have is neither a vise nor a C clamp. Rather, it appears to be a device made for a specific purpose. The crank turns what may be a forming or crimping die. The 'work' might well have slipped into the side where a piece is 'missing'. Call this piece the 'holder', for the moment. This missing piece on the side of the holder may be part of the design to allow whatever the work is to be slipped into the holder. The work may have had a larger end than could pass thru the holder, and a smaller diameter 'neck' which could fit in the holder. The only way to load it in would be via the cutout in the side of the holder. The larger end diameter of the work would then seat on the end of the holder closest the forming die.

The device could have been used for crimping on a metal cap on some sort of tubular part. Without seeing the end of the forming die, I would also say that the 'forming die may actually be a cutting tool with cutting lips on the face. Work might have been put into the holder portion and the crank turned the cutter to trim or square the work to length.

A "case length trimmer" for use with small arms ammunition cartridges suggests itself. If there is any end play to allow the crank/cutter to be slid in and out, this would allow over-length cartridge cases to be loaded in and then trimmed to length. My other guess is that you have a crimper for closing the ends of shotgun shells.

Perhaps most of a clock main spring winder?

Not. Those are dirt-simpler. "barrel" thing involved, too.

Shotshell nor metal bottle-cap crimper are also not likely.

Neither of those wants to be placed horizontally for the closure operation!

Prepping tube or the old, stiff "sprayer" high-pressure semi-resiliant hose for roll, flange, or barbed fitting, mayhap?

Prepping wooden dowel ends for .. tips or bindings??? "Seizing" fiber cordage?
Winding wire or cordage onto a bobbin?

Why is the slot open?

Not. Those are dirt-simpler. "barrel" thing involved, too.

Shotshell nor metal bottle-cap crimper are also not likely.

Neither of those wants to be placed horizontally for the closure operation!

Prepping tube or the old, stiff "sprayer" high-pressure semi-resiliant hose for roll, flange, or barbed fitting, mayhap?

Prepping wooden dowel ends for .. tips or bindings??? "Seizing" fiber cordage?
Winding wire or cordage onto a bobbin?

Why is the slot open?

This is why we hope the old guys will chime in

This is why we hope the old guys will chime in

LOL! Well.. it wasn't just ME.. G'Parents kept all manner of stuff around the farm as went back to the days of THEIR G'parents. They had blacksmithing capability, timbering and sawyering, iron-bound wooden block & tackle, lasts and such to make their own shoes (left and right the same shape. Let sweaty FEET give them the differentiation!), milled their own grain, made their own wine, whiskey, vinegar, and soap, extracted sugar from crushing sorghum, shelled dried corn for the geese, made butter and cheese, "caned"chairs, made feather beds, rope and rope "bedsprings", dried, smoked, pickled, and canned all manner of edibles and some that were more medicinal than edible.

The old outbuildings were chock-a-block with CAST IRON (the cheap molded plastic of its day!) weirdness, much of it explained to a curious kid, if not also still in regular use .. or close enough to be demonstrated.

The hand-cranked apple-peeler was my favourite as the blades traced a curve as it was cranked. The peelings and the honey we "grew" made a nice desert I preferred over the cider-apples. Not the best for apple-eating, but made nice dried-apple pies with some berries and our own rendering of lard for shortnin'.

The"old ways" were simply more "locally" self-sufficient ways, and "barter" days at the weekend farmer's market .Those were by and FOR farmers, not Mex'can veggies off a trailer-truck. Whatever your place had produced lookin' good and in surplus went to market. You didn't come back with cash. Your taters had been traded and better half-runner beans than your crop had made that year came back to be put-by as pickled or canned. Fodder beans you dried, up under the eaves or attic.

Squash did better than expected one year. Dad took to engineering at it after the harvest, just of the back of boredom in his retirement.

Him, his aged Mum, and elderly sister on the old farm.

Waddyah DO, three souls only, with NINE .. lovely picture-perfect .....I say again NINE....TONS ...of four kinds of squash? And sixty year since you last raised the sort of critters as could eat of 'em?

Dare you NOT 'low them to rot and "volunteer" for the NEXT year!
Fire up the Farmall and plow 'em DEEP! Brush-hog the buggers as they try again. Like something out of a sci-fi movie takin' over the remains of civilization!

:D

Practical trading for next year's meat AND/OR entertainment and socializing was a livestock auction....

And how far BACK is "old"? anyway?

Depends a good deal on WHERE as much as WHEN.

There was not much difference, any persuasion, from the Amish or Mennonite way of life back before MOST folk had any of electricity, motor cars, or cash-money for store-bought goods from fewer stores, and smaller ones.

All were too far to go to but every now and then ... because you were on foot or behind a horse. "On foot" didn't necesarily mean "shod" for you, only for the horse as NEEDED that more.

G'G' Dad ran a "General Merchandise" store, was the local Justice of the Peace and Postmaster. Next nearest store wudda been over five mile of dirt road or up or down the adjacent B&O railway line. And the rail line for that area was still a NEW thing. We'd been in those mountains a hundred year, and longer yet back in Eastern Virginia before the railroad reached us, War between the States era.

Then again.."Old Guys" now prolly left those farms about 70 years ago, if not earlier, even if still kids.

Right around the time War Two kicked off and labor went scarce..so..

"Old memory", too.

And everyday gadgets? Other than your best rifle?
Most don't have a high "remarkability" about them.

"Life" and folks, their doings and don't-ings got the "memorable" attention.

Not "stuff"!

I think we got that priority right, actually. People. Evaluated AS people.
By their character and behaviour. Not by their accumulated goods.

Back then, anyway.

'Murricans surely do travel with a lot of s**t nowadays..

.... and generate even more of it to go to war over.... mostly with each other.

Go figure we call that "progress".

:(

Scroll down this antique gun forum thread for a cornucopia of antique roll crimpers.

If it was a crimper, the OP's tool is missing the lever and attachment point to put force on the brass end of the shell while the paper end is being crimped. Could be that gap in the side of the "barrel" wasn't factory, but is a break where the attachment point for the lever anchor usta be.

Google books produces a few results from the late 1800's for hand tools made by H.T.W. Co. Seems right.

I'm trying to imagine 9 tons of squash. Blue Hubbards, by any chance? That is some bored!!

Back