What's new
What's new

VN Duplex #2 Y axis table removal + a few more...

Mikey D

Aluminum
Howdy Folks,

I figured I'd post a specific thread as the other one seems to have gotten derailed. ;-)

I need some help with the Y axis table. I was able to figure out how to get the X axis table off, but the front to back slide has all of the gear drive in it as well. It is not in as good condition as the well protected x axis ways. There are several left to right grooves on it. It will still be servicable though.

The front handle is pinned to the shaft. There is a cover over the engagement gear on the front which looks easy to remove. I guess the big question is how do I remove the lead screw? How is it held in on the front or rear?

I'm going to leave the z axis alone (knee?) It feels right and snug and moves easily up and down.

Also, what type of oil should I use on the ways? I got the holes cleaned out and the two on the top/front (that lube the front holes on the x-axis) have cross drilled holes that are now open. Should there be an oil cup on them or a zerk fitting for the mysterious "pump oil"?
I have not gotten the rear holes cleaned out yet but I assume they will have the same fittment as the fronts.

Picts in the second post as usual...

Thanks in advance!

Mikey

Picts of the dissassembly

Here they are...

Attachments

• Mill - table off - 1.jpg
    Mill - table off - 1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Mill - table off - 2.jpg
    Mill - table off - 2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Mill - table off - 3.jpg
    Mill - table off - 3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 95
  • Mill - table off - 4.jpg
    Mill - table off - 4.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 84
To oil the ways, various industrial lubricant manufacturers offer "Way Oil". No kidding, that's actually what they call it. The big issue is "With or Without Tackifiers?" Some types are tacky, which is what I think you need. Modern formulations are less tacky; I believe these types are for printing presses.

Do a search of PM for Way Oil and you will learn all about the different types.

You may have to buy a 5-gallon can. You want to pick this up locally because shipping oils requires a hazardous materials surcharge.

I've noticed that the "Business-to-Business" (B2B) Yellow Pages has four times as many listing for industrial lubricants as does the residential Yellow Pages.

You can also contact Repair Parts Inc. (RPI) for information. They should have the modern oil specs. I was able to order sight glasses and other assorted parts for my 40's era machine from them. They were also able to help me troubleshoot an attachment head issue by finding parts drawings.

I was told that the best way to adjust the saddle backlash was with the table off, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I didn't inquire about removing the saddle.

Back