What's new
What's new

Von Wyck lathe taper attachment identification help

Bigtrucklover

Plastic
I just purchased this 16" Von Wyck lathe from an estate.
The previous owners family remembered him having said it came out of a submarine, which I doubt due to the size, but I wouldn't doubt that it did come from a ship due to its original white paint and little to no wear. There is no play in anything and the gears are in excellent shape. I will reconfigure the motor mount a bit though to pretty it up though.
I spent a day combing through the shop to find any attachments or related equipment. I got 3 chucks, a steady rest, faceplate, some reamers and pieces to a taper attachment. They definitely look old enough to go to it but I'm not sure how it would all go together, or if I have all the pieces. I only found one picture online that somewhat resembled these pieces and it was to an early South Bend. I plan on doing some trial and error fit to see if I can figure it out once I get it out of the trailer and into the shop as well, but any directions or pictures of similar period pieces would be greatly appreciated!0806190828.jpg70514.jpg0806190828b.jpg0806190828c.jpg0806190830.jpg

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to post the rest of the pictures, but will add when I figure it out.

Here are the parts of the taper attachment. There was a lot of mixed up misc junk so some of these bits may not be related but I don't know.

0807190829.jpg
0807190830.jpg

Two upper left look like T/A parts. If no bolt holes in larger piece it has never been installed on lathe (you can see the attaching bolts on rear of carriage saddle)

Curvey end of large piece is clamped to rear way by a suitable bracket when in use

Smaller piece sits on larger piece in such a way that its angle is adjustable - - but I see no mounting holes or pivot hole for smaller piece in larger - so smaller has never been installed either

Missing - at least - is the small block that slides along the smaller piece's dove tail and is connected in one way or another to the cross slide

At best, this would be the most rudimentary of all T/As in that there is no connection to cross slide screw - requiring said screw to be disabled in order to use T/A

May very well be pieces acquired thru the years with nothing what ever to do with the lathe itself

Thanks johnoder.
Does anyone know how to date these lathes or where the serial number would be stamped? I see from other posts here that the quick change gears were first offered starting in 1908 and the Von Wyck name disappeared in 1915, so my lathe would be in that 7-8 year period correct?

Got her in place and organized.
I'm going to mount the motor on the ceiling and then get her levelled up and start doing some turning. I'll add some pics of the motor setup when I'm done.
Eventually I'd like to get the holes drilled and figure out how to get the taper attachment usable.

Back