What's new
What's new

Vulcan rail works 1950s

Thank You

Not only is the video you posted very interesting, but the associated transport films entertained me for a couple of hours.
I especially liked the "wash and brushout"

Thanks.

Frank

Thanks for sharing this video. I think it is the best video on locomotive construction that I have seen.

Imagine how it was to begin as a teen age boy working as an apprentice, going to school in the evenings to become an engineer and then after decades of experience, being in charge.

You earned your way and the company invested in you with training and a job. Something unthinkable in today's world.

Too many engineers today have no vocational skills and of course neither do the business school graduates who manage today's businesses. Bean counters never look beyond 3 months and all decisions are made to maximize profit in the shortest period of time killing once great companies in the long run.

This video is not just informative, but a commentary of what it takes to keep a business running for a century or more, producing a quality product while providing a living wage for its employees.

I like this well produced film also. But if I was one of those nameless employees in that shop (and I've kind of been one a couple of times) I would be saying 'F-kng Ted, that f-nkg know it all.'

Locomotive for Persia (Iran)

The Final minutes with the Loco Testing in Steam, was of a Class 52 Iranian State Railways Locomotive ( Assyrian Lion with Sword, Arabo-Persian Script on Cab sides.)
4'8-1/2" Gauge (Standard)

The erecting sheds can be seen with a multiplicity of Gauges ( Metre, 3'6", Standard, 5'0", 5'3" and 5'6".)

The Diesel Electric Cab Engine was a design used in most British Colonies and Dominions, usually fitted with English Electric Power Plants, and in Metric, 3'6'' (Colonial) and Latin American 5'6" Gauges.

Nearly all those Skills have disappeared...although the principles are the same today ( Foundry, Forging, Machining, etc) but the Knowledge of Building Steam Locomotives is held by a swiftly decreasing band of enthusiasts.

China (PRC) can still build New Steam Locos to order ( but has not built any for its own railways for nearly 15 years) and India still has active Loco Workshops, but they are mostly into repairs these days. NO other country in the world has the experience/facilities or need for Steam Locos.

Thank-goodness Vulcan commissioned a professional Film Co. to make this explanatory film, short as it is...The Core of the Industrial Revolution, and the basis for today's Engineering Profession ( along with Firearms and Bridge Building).

regards,
Doc AV
Armchair Modeller and Rail-Fan. ( Engineering side)

Jugs,
Thanks for posting the link .
I enjoyed watching it .
Here is another link for a short video from North British Locomotive works I posted in Asquith's made on Clydeside thread a while ago.
Scotland on Screen - Warwork News No. 19, The Other Man's Job
I didn't notice them tapping for the boiler stays as shown in the thread by Peter S.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v.../rope-driven-portable-powered-tapping-238382/
but I don't think I would want to have had a job working inside the boiler.
You may find some more interesting videos here
Scottish Screen Archive - Browse by subject - Construction and engineering&search_sort_order=Film.name&search_sort_direction=ASC&max_rows=50&from_row=1
Regards,
Jim

Thanks for posting jugs! Just enjoyed 19 well spent minutes watching your link with a bottle of my favorite beverage.

Last edited:
No doubt Ted took a long time to live down his contrived high-speed 'inspections' etc, but I like the quality of the filming, (plenty of light used?) some great bits showing forging, rivetting etc. Thanks!

Back