What's new
What's new

W&S 1A and #3

Froneck

Titanium
I purchased 2 W&S turret lathes, 1A and #3. I really don't have room for either machine. #3 has no motor and 1A has single speed motor. I purchased the 1A to fit 1-1/2" square bar in the spindle not sure if #3 spindle is larger than the 2-1/8" needed. (without the collet pusher tube) Not having much room I might disassemble the 1A and use the spindle and scrap the machine. Anyone interested in parts, I can make photos and post the here, #3 as air operated chuck.

I purchased 2 W&S turret lathes, 1A and #3. I really don't have room for either machine. #3 has no motor and 1A has single speed motor. I purchased the 1A to fit 1-1/2" square bar in the spindle not sure if #3 spindle is larger than the 2-1/8" needed. (without the collet pusher tube) Not having much room I might disassemble the 1A and use the spindle and scrap the machine. Anyone interested in parts, I can make photos and post the here, #3 as air operated chuck.

#3 M1200 has 1 27/32 thru bore - likewise on the M2200

Some of the info in their book TOOLS

Might be a few straight ones but I have straightened worse, they don't look too bad but I didn't look at them I see only what is in the photo. Anyone wants them, free, only the cost to ship. Can make better photo and look close. But location will be closed all next week, Deer season in my area!

Looking at the #3 I think I'm wrong, it maybe a #4. It's in a place I cant get to the front to see what the size is. I looked at the bent stop screws, did take a photo if anyone is interested. One is straight the others are bent. I'm also thinking the screw size is too big for a #3 so it could be a #4. Machine does have a taper attachment. Turret spider does not have plastic balls so it an older machine. Turret toolpost is the older rocker type. look to have the original rocker the other might have been fabricated and 2 are missing.

3 is 8 1/2 across flats of turret - while 4 is 9 1/4. Your tape measure is your friend

Thanks John! Do you know the diameter of the hole in the #4 spindle without the collet push tube? Being it has an air chuck there is probably no tube in the spindle. If it will fit 1-1/2" square bar (2-1/8") I might keep it and mount a 4 jaw chuck. Might be enough material to machine the rocker style turret toolpost flat bottom.

Thanks John! Do you know the diameter of the hole in the #4 spindle without the collet push tube? Being it has an air chuck there is probably no tube in the spindle. If it will fit 1-1/2" square bar (2-1/8") I might keep it and mount a 4 jaw chuck. Might be enough material to machine the rocker style turret toolpost flat bottom.

Both M-2240 and M-1420 say 2 7/16 thru hole. Both also say 2 3/4 dia 4 7/8 deep from spindle face

Their book TOOLS is full of that kind of info

I'm editing this Post because when I returned to the salvage yard the machines were gone!. They were closed for a week due to deer Hunting Season in PA and assumed I removed all I wanted. Though I know how to get around the gate and they let me stay as long as I want I did no return all week because I didn't tell them I was going to do that.
They are really nice guys and paid me for the scrap value, parts are no longer available. I got most of what I wanted, the motor is removed from the 1A and I have the owner's manual available but that's it!

Last edited:

Back