What's new
What's new

W&S M-1990. Model No1 turret lathe

GTP

Plastic
So, as I posted over in the WS Forum, I just picked up this lathe. I’m told, per the serial number, it’s a 1942 model. Has a tag showing a 1957 rebuild. Still shows significant scraping on all the ways. Came with a number of collets, a3 jaw and a 4 jaw, as well as a few tool holders for the cross slide. As is doesn’t really suit my needs, and I was going to modify it, but after finding its age, and it’s rarity, thought I would offer it up if anybody has interest before I make any irreversible modifications.

gtpconstructionsvc@gmail

Ran across one of those "electric" #1's over in Sealy several years back. Only had the ram turret and no cross slide, lots of collets, though. Back then they wanted $700 for it. I turned it down, didn't want to rig up a step up transformer to run it off of 440 volts. Think that was a four speed motor?

So I have decided to sell this machine, and buy something already more suited to my needs. I have $500.00 for it, and will take the same. Has 3 jaw & 4 jaw chuck, collett set up with multiple collets. Indexing on turret works excellently. Several tool holders as well.

Well, I bought this lathe, working on scraping old paint off to liberate oiling points and freshen it up. Should I start a new thread?
turret 1.jpg
Turret 2.jpg

Attachments

• 20200317_212531[1].jpg
    20200317_212531[1].jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200324_125805[1].jpg
    20200324_125805[1].jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 58
Here it is put back together. I need to get some heaters for the starter and wire up the on/off barrel switch. I did test the motor after rewiring it for 220 and it works fine. I don't have the collet closer working yet, I just put it back together the way it was. I do have a 3 jaw Buck chuck and a 4 jaw chuck also.
My WS 1A.jpg

Back