Thread: Wade 8a #407

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going to perform an experiment. Evaporust vs electrolysis for rust removal.
    Saw this done on youtube. Might want to look it up before you bother.

VFD to convert to 3ph, and provide variable speed.
    My advice is to get one with a knob built into the control panel so you can easily vary the speed. Mine has and up/down on the keypad and is annoyingly slow to change speed. You can always do an external knob though with pretty much any VFD.

When I think of "sheaves" in this context, I think of CVT transmissions where the belts ride up and down the pulley to vary the drive ratio.

Seems like a VFD running a motor belted right to the spindle should do it.
    3600 RPM motor, maybe 2:1 reduction using the pulley would get him close to his target RPM. You could then just over-drive the motor a bit go hit is 2000 rpm target? In my case, I'm using the existing pulleys with 5x1 reduction and just turning the motor RPM up enough to hit my spindle speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just be sure you COMPLETELY submerge the part in Evaporust. If there is an air/Evaporust interface, you will get etching at the interface. Fortunately I learned that on a non-critical part.

3. Likes Quade, Paolo_MD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren McCarley View Post
    Ok, there's a new one. I'm familiar with sheaves, but only in a Biblical/farming sense. Stalks bundled. However, I don't see plant stalks holding up to the expected torque.... ...
    Hemp fibers, maybe?

Hmmm. Dunno where I picked that one up. Dear ol' Dad, who called a threaded nut a tap? Vermont? Crane folks, as in here? Pronounced the same as, but not, shiv.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the chuckle Neil!

First collet is taking an evaporust bath. We'll see how that turns out.

I've been looking at motor options and I think this Baldor unit will suffice. Found one as new but cheaper than new. I'd love to get some feedback from you guys. Note: I still plan on using a VFD with some sort of pulley system to obtain the ideal RPM baseline.
    Baldor EM3211T-8
    3HP, 1765RPM, 3PH, 60HZ, 182T, 3630M, OPSB, F1
    EM3211T-8 - Baldor.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wherever a motor is directly or indirectly exposed to chips, dust, and oil, I strongly prefer using one that is totally enclosed fan cooled (TEFC) desgn.

Paolo

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been looking at motor options and I think this Baldor unit will suffice.
    While it's inverter rated, it's only rated up to 2000 RPM. I'd make sure that fits with your gearing. I was running mine at 2500 RPM last night which works out to 500 RPM spindle speed.

The logan has simple to remember ratios. 5:1 4:1 3:1 2:1. I'm on the 5:1 pulley right now.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great feedback y'all. Thank you!

Some headway on the collets. I've been able to get a few cleaned up. Evaporust plus some buffing on a soft grinding wheel and eureka! A few have some deep rust pits but nothing that should effect performance, I hope.

Before treatment

After....

9. Likes sandiapaul liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Busy day, but a good one. 3hp WEG motor. May be overkill but it was too good of a deal to pass up and I can always down grade later, if necessary.
    I plan on pushing this with a teco l510 VFD.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its roughly the same size of the original motor, even if it's double the power. Should work fine.

Andy

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the confirmation, Andy. As the defacto authority of all things Wade 8a, it's a pleasure to have your input!
    Busy week, but I have found pockets of time to work on 5 collets every 3 days. With about 80 collets, I should be finished with the collets in about 2 months. (Dang, sounds like for ever when I see that timeline...)
    Otherwise, I'm in the process of breaking down the lathe and rests to have sand blasted. Will post a pic of the parts later today.
    During the break down of the head stock, I've noticed that the reverse gears and lead screw aren't engaging. Looks like I'll be breaking down the head stock and associated gears a bit more than originally planned.
    My goal is to follow a similar path as the one as Bob did in this thread. If anyone knows Bob, please reach out and tell him thanks for me!
    WTB Wade 8A tooling and accessories

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah! I remember seeing that story. Glad to know it is being put to good use.

Evaporust * 2. Got it! Ty!
    Ya know, I honestly don't know. I've seen it mentioned.... Here's a couple of pics.

Hi Darren would it possible to have a close up picture of the front bearing and it serial number please? as I'm trying to get new bearings for my wade in England however the serial number on mine doesn't match SKF's records

thanks

Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are your bearings shot?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oliver, it may a while. The lathe is currently complete. I have to tear down the lathe head to strip and paint. Unless the numbers are available....

Sorry, I am not getting emails from thread posts.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oliver, it may a while. The lathe is currently complete. I have to tear down the lathe head to strip and paint. Unless the numbers are available....

Sorry, I am not getting emails from thread posts.
    hi Darren i manage to find the bearings however they are very limited and are only 5 available in the uk. the bearing number on your wade would possible be situated on the outer race behind the front spindle cover.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi mate the bearing aren't that bad, however after 80 years of use I thought I would replace them. I'm also getting the machine all reground and scraped. I'll post picture when its all done.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Slocombe, I'll post a pic once I break down the head stock, for comparison if nothing else. What numbers did you pull off yours?

Also, the progress has been slow, but steady. The collets are coming along, as is the old paint removal. The primer is just rattle can to minimize rust. I'll strip, re-prime and then am pkanning on using an epoxy paint in USA blue.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Slocombe, I'll post a pic once I break down the head stock, for comparison if nothing else. What numbers did you pull off yours?

Also, the progress has been slow, but steady. The collets are coming along, as is the old paint removal. The primer is just rattle can to minimize rust. I'll strip, re-prime and then am pkanning on using an epoxy paint in USA blue.

hi Darren, so the bearing appeared to be a none standard bearing with the number n-4012-k /c020, however the bearing is the same as the newer nn 3012 super precision double roller bearing. the thrust bearing also appeared to be a non standard 2192 SKF bearing however another company still make them to the same dimensions. finally the bearing at the back is a standard 6209 deep groove ball bearing which is still in production. I'm just waiting on a new back-gear to be made before reassembling the headstock ready for re alignment etc.

yes paint removal is my job next week, but all in good time.

kind regards

Oliver

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good to see your project is moving on. I'm trudging through still cleaning the collets. I was reading various threads and ran across this one 9a Restoration

Which has caused me to rethink my painting scheme. I was going to go with blue.... but now....
    His lathe before..(Different lathe, but similar look...l
    Decisions, decisions...

After...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NEG6I8K

I used this stuff when my parts were between cleaning and painting. I just cleaned it off with acetone when I was ready to coat.

My Logan is getting a dark flat gray. Clear coat on the operating handles and dials. That green looks good too.

I was cleaning grease off the Logan parts with acetone. Was surprised that all the paint came off in the acetone too. I suspect it's not original paint.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Quade View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NEG6I8K

I used this stuff when my parts were between cleaning and painting. I just cleaned it off with acetone when I was ready to coat.

My Logan is getting a dark flat gray. Clear coat on the operating handles and dials. That green looks good too.

I was cleaning grease off the Logan parts with acetone. Was surprised that all the paint came off in the acetone too. I suspect it's not original paint.
    What did you use as primer?