Thread: Wade 8a #407

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bed primed. The head stock and gear box are done, just forgot to take a picture. Next time.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now I have a REAL problem. I was using the cabinet to store the parts while working then on my bench. Good thing there aren't many small parts in the cabinet. Bad thing is I loose my benches due to all the parts! I'll post a pic of them all together in a couple of days. I may have to break down and finally buy that nice rack I've wanted. But where to put it!?!?!?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is a beast to move around but the results are so satisfying! I still have some touch up but I'm getting closer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Redoing a lathe, when you take it pretty all apart pretty much takes up all your horizontal surfaces! Parts in process of being cleaned, parts cleaned, parts primed, parts with paint on drying, finished parts, etc...

All other work comes to a halt really. But at some point you turn the corner and put the first things back together and start to reclaim your bench space! Looking good Darren!

5. Likes Darren McCarley liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had to deal with my Grandmother passing away this past week. 99 years old and still drove herself around her small town in central Texas. She blessed me with her faith in Christ, relentless curiosity, and work ethic. So, while I could, I did what she would do. Give my anguish to Christ, figure out the next challenge, and get to work. Therefore, before heading to South Texas for her funeral, I was able to tear down the cabinet. I'm tempted to have it media blasted. The shear amount of surface area and hard to reach places make the task of manual/chemical paint removal/cleaning quite daunting. Obviously, I'll need to take care of the mount points for the bed. (She taught me smarter, not harder, too. )

7. Likes Giglio_A, Rex TX liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Progress continues, slowly. The cabinet, drawers, and top are in various stages or strip, sand, paint. Not much metal work there. However, I am leveraging some "metal bumping" skills I've picked up over the years. It is a TRUE pleasure working with good, solid, old steel. Today's alloyed 16-20 gauge steel is too brittle and doesn't want to move. However, this steel moves like spreading butter, in comparison. (I'm smoothing out dents, dings, etc and hate using Bondo.)
    I've started making various back plates for the chucks I've picked up. Very interesting spindle in this lathe. My mentor and I believe the spindle threads are intentionally loose-ish. It seems the real magic happens at the back plate mating surface to the spindle shoulder and/or the spindle diameter itself. To test this theory, we're building a replica spindle that we can use as a gauge for future projects. Sure beats carrying that headstock from my shop to his! So, for some metal work content. I give you the future Wade 8a mock spindle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Soooooo much surface area. Should have had it blasted. But nooooo, I can do it......
    Getting closer. Tray. Length way.

Drawers with outer color the cabinet will match.

Anyone else feeling a bit light headed?

10. Likes Bret Rochotte, o.slocombe liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Labor Day? Yeah, laborious for sure. Making slow but steady progress on the cabinet.

12. Likes sandiapaul liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Took this week off as a vacation for myself. First time ever. (Kids in school, wife is working.) I'm not one to sit around so.... My personal goal is to have the cabinet finished by the end of the week, back on the ground, leveling feet installed, and start putting the lathe back together. I'm getting closer everyday. Cabinet is 3/4 completely stripped. Tomorrow, the front and start to work on the inside. Contemplating g installing some lights in the large cabinet areas with auto on/off switches I scavenged from old microwaves. Time will tell.

14. Likes Giglio_A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are going to have one nice lathe!
    cant wait to see the finished product.

for lights, there are lots of good motion activated small cabinet LED units out there

16. Likes Giglio_A liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex TX View Post
    You are going to have one nice lathe!
    cant wait to see the finished product.

for lights, there are lots of good motion activated small cabinet LED units out there
    Thanks Rex! Heck of an idea on the lights. Hadn't thought of those and have them in my gun safe. I know just the ones you're talking about!

18. Likes Giglio_A liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks almost too good to paint..... Almost.
    Inside is painted to match the tray, outside is primed. I'm hoping to have it painted by end of day tomorrow.

(No pics of primer. It's just primer.....)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cabinet is finally finished. Not going to say it's all down hill from here, but at least it should be a different set of tools!

21. Likes sandiapaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren McCarley View Post
    Cabinet is finally finished.
    Darren - cabinet looks fantastic - great work. I am very impressed with the effort you have put into this project and the results you are getting. You are going to have something to be truly proud of and something that will last a lifetime. You are the kind of guy who deserves a Wade 8A project. I am glad you ended up with one.

PS: Your Wade sure beats the heck out of that other "un-named lathe with zinc gears" you were considering.

23. Likes Darren McCarley, Giglio_A liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Lee. It has been a fun and educational project.
    While slow, I am making some progress. Motion sensing lights are now installed as well as felt in the drawers. (Felt over 1/8" ply wood for future replacement.)
    I need to make a folding insert for the bottom cabinet but it too will be felt.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The parts piles are getting smaller, the bench space is increasing, and this thing is actually starting to look like a lathe again.

26. Likes sandiapaul liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No pictures this week. Too busy, and too tired. However, I was able to rebuild the gear box and boy did it need it. The oil passages were filled w/ either grease or "gunk". I'm going to go with grease as I removed a zerk fitting. I'm hoping to NOT replace the zerk as I like the look/intent of Gits oil cups. While I recognize they are a bit messy, I'll take the mess over having to rebuild/replace due to grease instead of oil. The biggest catch? Finding a Gits cups that will work in place of this 1/4" zerk. I'm REALLY hoping the threads haven't been re-cut. I may be forced to just order some Gits cups to see if they fit. (I hate even thinking about drilling/tapping these holes.)

I'm 99.9% sure the zerk it is this guy.
    1/4"-28 Taper Thread SAE-LT Grease Fittings

Any ideas on finding a replacement Gits cup? Gits isn't showing any threads like that.
    Oil Hole Cups and Covers | GITS Manufacturing

Obvious oil cups on the outside of the gear box, headstock, and ends of the lead screw/tumbler shaft. Borrowed from Wade8a.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I needed oil cups for the last project I just complete. I had to buy them 10 at a time on ebay. About $35 IIRC, and they did come with felts.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The headstock bearing oil cups are special. Everything else is still available from Gits (I just purchased some). I may still have the order paperwork with the part numbers.

Andy

30. Likes Darren McCarley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have used these on several restorations.

Error in Form!

They also sell a smaller one, all brass with no glass that might also work. THis is what I used on the countershaft of my Wade, which was probably much older than yours