Thread: Wade 8a #407

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A 7" Wade will generally have the same 2" x 10 spindle nose as an 8A. There are exceptions to that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Likes Darren McCarley, Greg Menke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice! I'll take some pics and measurements.

Both are OEM plates, should restate- the backplate is machined for the spindle but the face is otherwise blank. The faceplate has a pattern of 1/4-20 holes for fixturing but no t-slots.

I do intend to keep them since I'm likewise trying to accumulate Wade tooling

4. Likes Darren McCarley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ok, turns out the plate does have t-slots;

Wade 7 OEM tooling;

total thickness 1"
    - backface boss receiving spindle nose .250" H, 3.2" D
    - backface rim .075" H, .150" annular thickness

t-slot dims;
    - throat .384" W by .315" H
    - base .830" W by .185" H

- across diameter, 2.815 from top-dead-center t-slots

all holes threaded 1/4-20

.5" center hole

3/8-16" tapped holes, adjacent holes on 2.4" centers

- shank depth 1.150"
    - plate thick .765"
    - shank height .750"
    - shank annular thickness .435"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting through hole on that last one. Wonder why it's so much smaller.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a look thru my Wade 7 book, found the following quote;

Prices are great, I guess we both should give them a call seems like I have the 7" tapped plate and the "Chuck plate".

8. Likes Darren McCarley, sandiapaul liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lol. I totally agree! I'll take a full set of their 8a collets too!

10. Likes Greg Menke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Putting the apron on, again! Pulled this part off one of my spares and find that I have some questions.
    Lower left side of the apron.
    1) Is this a stock Wade piece?
    2) If a stock item, is it mounted correctly?

It seems to constrain the carriage to the point that it makes the collets unusable. (Tool post will not travel to the collet face)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't seen that part on an 8A apron before.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    I haven't seen that part on an 8A apron before.

Andy, thanks for the feedback! I suspected this was a Machinist created "add on" to limit the carriage travel in an effort to mitigate crashing the chuck into the compound. The fact that it is bronze was what caused me to think it may have been a Wade item. I'm going to take it off or modify it so I can use it and collets.
    If machines could talk..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last parts arrived today. 2 bearings for the belt tower. Should be able to install them this weekend.
    Getting close to needing a flat belt. I've seen a few posts but am curious, does anyone have a CURRENT place to get flat belts? Obviously l, mine will need to be custom length. Also, leather or composite?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren McCarley View Post
    Last parts arrived today. 2 bearings for the belt tower. Should be able to install them this weekend.
    Getting close to needing a flat belt. I've seen a few posts but am curious, does anyone have a CURRENT place to get flat belts? Obviously l, mine will need to be custom length. Also, leather or composite?
    McM composite is cheap. Works well enough for me that I won't pay 10x more for leather.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ClappedOutBport View Post
    McM composite is cheap. Works well enough for me that I won't pay 10x more for leather.
    Thanks Clapped. Google comes up with some VERY interesting results when searching for McM composite flat belt. However, in my searches, I did run across Any size flat drive belts supplier | Al Bino Industrial Belting For around $50 I think I'll give them a try. Anyone have any pros/cons to these folks?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren McCarley View Post
    Thanks Clapped. Google comes up with some VERY interesting results when searching for McM composite flat belt. However, in my searches, I did run across Any size flat drive belts supplier | Al Bino Industrial Belting For around $50 I think I'll give them a try. Anyone have any pros/cons to these folks?

Alright....

Well here is the link if you change your mind. McMaster-Carr

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would LOVE to tell you that the belts from Al Bino are fantastic. The company and service are great, and he is super helpful. But the composite belts I just could not get to work. I renovated a Smart & Brown 1024 and choose his belt...it seemed to have minimal grip and slipped a lot. I have no experience with the leather ones, but can't imagine that they aren't of excellent quality.

In the end I would up with the belt material from McMaster, I have a belt lacer and lots of the clips and used that. People talk about the annoying clicking sound of the joint going over the pulleys and in fact that is just the kind of thing that would drive me nuts so I was worried about that. In use I could almost barely hear it. THe McMAster belt material looks similar but feels a lot "grippier." I will probably use that or leather when I get around to the Wade. I'm still pondering the VFD but part of me wants to keep the Wade as original, but I wonder how the belt shifting mechanism actually works. THe VFD I rigged up on the S&B was fantastic.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ClappedOutBport View Post
    Alright....

Well here is the link if you change your mind. McMaster-Carr
    Oh! McMaster Carr! Duh. Sorry. I didn't realize that's what you meant. Thank you for the link!!

Quote Originally Posted by sandiapaul View Post
    I would LOVE to tell you that the belts from Al Bino are fantastic. The company and service are great, and he is super helpful. But the composite belts I just could not get to work. I renovated a Smart & Brown 1024 and choose his belt...it seemed to have minimal grip and slipped a lot. I have no experience with the leather ones, but can't imagine that they aren't of excellent quality.

In the end I would up with the belt material from McMaster, I have a belt lacer and lots of the clips and used that. People talk about the annoying clicking sound of the joint going over the pulleys and in fact that is just the kind of thing that would drive me nuts so I was worried about that. In use I could almost barely hear it. THe McMAster belt material looks similar but feels a lot "grippier." I will probably use that or leather when I get around to the Wade. I'm still pondering the VFD but part of me wants to keep the Wade as original, but I wonder how the belt shifting mechanism actually works. THe VFD I rigged up on the S&B was fantastic.
    Love the idea of super quiet composite, plus I do have the belt tensioner that, in theory, should alleviate slippage. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
    Once I have the idler bearings, idler, and belt tower installed, I still have to measure the length I need. I'll post up the prices and go from there.

Sandi, if there is ANY way I could combine the lower step pulley with a contemporary motor whilst keeping the belt guide AND add a VFD..... I'd be all over that! Talk about near infinite adjustment! However, now that I have 2nd Wade that has that complex "inner cabinet" configuration, I do NOT envy the attempt. Would be a fun challenge though.

20. Likes sandiapaul liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great day at the shop. I'm beat and was so productive I totally forgot to take pics. But! It is starting to look like a Wade again. Maybe by 2022 it'll be turning chips..... Maybe.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

7 feet, 9 and 1/4 inches. That is the length of the belt. It may not seem like a big deal but for the last 5 years I've been wondering how long of a belt I'll need. Today I FINALLY have all the parts made, bolted in place, and able to take that measurement! Time to go buy a belt! Technically, I believe that if I had a belt, I could at least take it for a test spin. <Rim shot>. I still have a TON of little things to do coupled with any issues I have once under power. However, things are looking better than ever and I'm super stoked.

23. Likes sandiapaul liked this post