Wade 8A apron disassembly
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wade 8A apron disassembly

I'm cleaning up above lathe and need some advice. I'm trying to disassemble the feed clutch. I have made a pin spanner and have removed the back side nut. Does the front clutch screw, #32, unscrew from the clutch gear, #45, right hand threads?
    Trying to figure out how to hold the clutch shaft from turning while unscrewing the clutch screw took me a while, but I have found a way. On another lathe, I put the end of the clutch shaft in a collet with the headstock in it's lowest gear. Then advanced a drill chuck to keep the spanner square while not letting it back out. This is a solid setup. I have pulled on the spanner as hard as I dared and nothing has happened. Before I break anything, am I on the right track? Is #32 threaded on to #45? It's hard to tell from the drawing.
    I can pull harder and something is going to give, I just want it to be the threads and not something else.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img013-.jpg   img014.jpg   dscn5579.jpg   dscn5582.jpg   dscn5584.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know it's been a while but I'm just about to try this myself, wondering if you were able to unscrew that clutch with the spanner from the front of the apron and if it was in fact regular RH threads in there? I was hoping I might be able to service it without removing the apron.
    Just picked up my 8A a couple weeks ago and have been having a good time learning my way around it, (also my fist experience with an engine lathe)

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to PM Mortomr. I never did get it apart. My usual M.O. is to force something until it gives or breaks. I must be getting a little smarter in my old age. I just cleaned it as is and let it go at that. Let us know if you are successful.
    There are quite a few 8A owners here on PM. Including Andy FitzGibbon who runs the Wade 8A web site.

http://www.wade8a.com/index.htm

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the welcome and the update maynah, I've been lurking a while and have stumbled across Andy's story of rescuing the Wade stock as they were closing shop, and meant to add mine to the registry over on the wade8a site, just didn't want to jinx anything before I took delivery
    I'll report back if I make any headway on the disassembly but it's encouraging to hear you were able to clean it up without, so I'll try that route first. Thanks again!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nebraska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This seems like a sticking point for some ( pun intended ) on the clutch mechanism. I too have a clutch that will not engage with the nut. I have the assembly apart as far as the pictures above. Now I am at the point as to what to do next. Anyone have the answer to LH or RH threads for the clutch screw?
    With mine, I can not get the clutch gears to engage in their cones. something must be stuck somewhere inside, just cant get it apart to see what is going on.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Rick and welcome to PM.
    Usually I'm telling people on the OWWM site to come here but this time see the link below.
    Peter Ross has been working on his 8A and I think he did get his apron apart.
    Get in touch with him and he may be able to help you.

Wade 8A - Old Woodworking Machines

7. Likes Rjjr liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nebraska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you! I’ll contact him.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nebraska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Success getting clutch apart! I could not get the setup Maynah used in the original post. The shaft kept slipping in the collet. Anyways, after a few days of thinking I used some hot water meltable plastic and pushed it all around the gear so as to hold it in place. The plastic was held in place by the apron and the teeth. It Worked! came off easily with the spanner wrench. The hardest part was getting plastic out, just heatgun and some care. All good, time to get this lathe workin'
    Rick

[ATTACH=CONFIG]251072

Hopefully the picture is uploaded....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0506.jpg  

10. Likes sfriedberg, sandiapaul liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rick, that's a very useful "outside the box" tip! I've used wax and similar stuff for fixturing, but not the hot-water plastic, and not as a wrench.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Excellent guidance on the use of the collet! Chucked up a collet (3/8, IIRC) in the Wade. Engaged the head stock lock and bada bing! Shaft came off super easy.