What's new
What's new

Wade lathes in Ada OH - I bought them - I need a bit of help if you go there

aninventor

Aluminum
I bought and paid for the two wade lathes and all the Wade parts etc that are there and I intend to do a restoration of at least one of them, but unfortunately I am 1,100 miles away right now and I will not be able to return to Ohio and go get them for a month or so. I am quite concerned that some of these parts may sprout legs before I can get there and pick them up. It is not so much that I distrust the seller, it is more that he is an 18 year old who knows absolutely nothing about machinery, cannot identify what goes with what, and he is not inclined to take photos or to search for things either. So, someone else could grab parts that belong to the Wade. Making matters worse, he goes to Ebay and sees and places high ebay prices on things even though they may not be similar or apply. In my experience he was very hard to deal with - or at least that was my experience. He wants to negotiate hard for his asking price but he knows nothing about what he is negotiating over, and he seems a bit paranoid that some one is going to get the best of him. He attempted to use information from me to try to raise the price.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone who goes there to pick up or look at something else would take a few minutes and look around for the cross and top slides and for the draw bars and collets for these lathes. The second Wade lathe on the garage floor has these slide parts and can be used for reference if a Wade is new to you, but there should be a second set of the slide parts somewhere and they may be in better condition than those on the lathe on the floor. That lathe is pretty rough. Same goes for the missing handles and apron parts from the second lathe on the floor - probably some where. There may be a steady or follow rest or face plate etc some where too. The stuff in the boxes on the floor next to these lathes is supposed to be part of our deal too, so pictures of that would be appreciated greatly. Photo of the cabinet under drive would be appreciated too.

Also, someone mentioned that they saw the Wade collets and that they were on the shelf in the basement next to the Rivett lathe. The Rivett lathe takes 5C collets which are very much like Wade 8A collets - same diameter and same head angle. The biggest differences are that the Wade collets have buttress threads with one sloped and one straight face on their profile - like saw teeth instead of two sloped sides like bolt V threads, thread pitch is 16 for wade and 20 for 5C, and the Wade collets are about 0.6 inch longer than 5C. Wade collets may be marked Wade on the side or 8W or 8WN or 8A or unmarked on the nose. If you find them, please have them put in a box and put them in the Wade cabinet for me. Let me know how many there are please.

Same goes for the belt cover castings and the motor assembly with clutch and drive pulley and etc. There are lots of parts missing from the second lathe and I would like to get as many of them as possible.

There may be a steady or follow rest or some other specific Wade tooling and I need to have those too.

Again, I would greatly appreciate any assistance in getting all the Wade parts and accessories available. The collets and draw bars should go with the lathes but beyond that I have agreed to pay a bit extra if there are other valuable accessories, so please do not comment on values as that will only make him negotiate harder.

I know it is a lot to ask for you to get involved in my transaction, but my butt is stuck out here and any help would be greatly appreciated.

As some background - the machinery is from his now deceased father's shop. His father was a 55 yr old physics professor at north western university and passed a year or two ago. His mother is a physics professor there too. The seller is the 18 year old son and he is leaving to go off to college now. Apparently, very little of anything of what is still there is operational now as is. As shown in the photos, there are piles of stuff on the floor etc. There are still a number of machines to be photographed and placed for sale. I assume he is doing some pricing research via Google and Ebay. He said the Rivett has sold for the asking price of $2,000. A number of smaller newer mini lathes etc have previously been sold too.

I bought and paid for the two wade lathes and all the Wade parts etc that are there and I intend to do a restoration of at least one of them, but unfortunately I am 1,100 miles away right now and I will not be able to return to Ohio and go get them for a month or so. I am quite concerned that some of these parts may sprout legs before I can get there and pick them up. It is not so much that I distrust the seller, it is more that he is an 18 year old who knows absolutely nothing about machinery, cannot identify what goes with what, and he is not inclined to take photos or to search for things either. So, someone else could grab parts that belong to the Wade. Making matters worse, he goes to Ebay and sees and places high ebay prices on things even though they may not be similar or apply. In my experience he was very hard to deal with - or at least that was my experience. He wants to negotiate hard for his asking price but he knows nothing about what he is negotiating over, and he seems a bit paranoid that some one is going to get the best of him. He attempted to use information from me to try to raise the price.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone who goes there to pick up or look at something else would take a few minutes and look around for the cross and top slides and for the draw bars and collets for these lathes. The second Wade lathe on the garage floor has these slide parts and can be used for reference if a Wade is new to you, but there should be a second set of the slide parts somewhere and they may be in better condition than those on the lathe on the floor. That lathe is pretty rough. Same goes for the missing handles and apron parts from the second lathe on the floor - probably some where. There may be a steady or follow rest or face plate etc some where too. The stuff in the boxes on the floor next to these lathes is supposed to be part of our deal too, so pictures of that would be appreciated greatly. Photo of the cabinet under drive would be appreciated too.

Also, someone mentioned that they saw the Wade collets and that they were on the shelf in the basement next to the Rivett lathe. The Rivett lathe takes 5C collets which are very much like Wade 8A collets - same diameter and same head angle. The biggest differences are that the Wade collets have buttress threads with one sloped and one straight face on their profile - like saw teeth instead of two sloped sides like bolt V threads, thread pitch is 16 for wade and 20 for 5C, and the Wade collets are about 0.6 inch longer than 5C. Wade collets may be marked Wade on the side or 8W or 8WN or 8A or unmarked on the nose. If you find them, please have them put in a box and put them in the Wade cabinet for me. Let me know how many there are please.

Same goes for the belt cover castings and the motor assembly with clutch and drive pulley and etc. There are lots of parts missing from the second lathe and I would like to get as many of them as possible.

There may be a steady or follow rest or some other specific Wade tooling and I need to have those too.

Again, I would greatly appreciate any assistance in getting all the Wade parts and accessories available. The collets and draw bars should go with the lathes but beyond that I have agreed to pay a bit extra if there are other valuable accessories, so please do not comment on values as that will only make him negotiate harder.

I know it is a lot to ask for you to get involved in my transaction, but my butt is stuck out here and any help would be greatly appreciated.

As some background - the machinery is from his now deceased father's shop. His father was a 55 yr old physics professor at north western university and passed a year or two ago. His mother is a physics professor there too. The seller is the 18 year old son and he is leaving to go off to college now. Apparently, very little of anything of what is still there is operational now as is. As shown in the photos, there are piles of stuff on the floor etc. There are still a number of machines to be photographed and placed for sale. I assume he is doing some pricing research via Google and Ebay. He said the Rivett has sold for the asking price of $2,000. A number of smaller newer mini lathes etc have previously been sold too.

Lessee.. you and the Son have entered into a joint venture to make a problem out of a solution by trading in mistrust, obfuscation, and paranoia. So far, each has been equally successful at counterscrewing the other.

Your Attourney will want an itemized and notarized bill of sale as support for the filing of a Replevin Bond.

That's the gist of it so far?

But because you have no photos to accompany the itemized bill of sale, you also need the assistance of a Court Recognized expert on Wade lathes and accessories so as to be able to match it to the physical goods?

And you don't foresee any challenge to that individual's call?

I am not a lawyer, but when both parties to a transaction feel they have reason to believe the other party has taken / is taking / will take undue advantage, you probably NEED a lawyer.

Are you even certain the goods are unencumbered? That the Estate is out of probate?

Being 1100 miles away sounds like the wisest move so far showing.

How long can you extend that situation?

Having paid full price already, your anxiety is understandable. Sounds like a pickle.

And what are you asking for? Pickup of everything? Just the accessories? A look around? A dopeslap? Administered how and to whom?

And a backstory, too, please. I, for one, know nothing about this sale.

Wish I could help, Wade lathes being one of my interests, but alas, I'm almost as far away as you are.

Last edited:
Having paid full price already, your anxiety is understandable. Sounds like a pickle.

And what are you asking for? Pickup of everything? Just the accessories? A look around? A dopeslap? Administered how and to whom?

And a backstory, too, please. I, for one, know nothing about this sale.

Wish I could help, Wade lathes being one of my interests, but alas, I'm almost as far away as you are.

Neil, some details on the sale here:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ory/bunch-smaller-lathes-fs-ebay-ohio-353468/

Aninventor- I sent you a PM to discuss this.

Andy

The collets I think are for the Wade lathes include some clearly marked Hardinge 8WN. I did not look at more than one or two in each box and did not count them. I pointed them out to the owner and explained the 8WN was the identifying characteristic for the Wade collets. One box was on the shelf next to the Rivett (along with many other things not for the Rivett, but some Rivett things). The other box was on the floor near the bottom of the stairway. I will take a wild guess and say each box could contain 15 to 25 collets. The owner should be able to find those two boxes and do a count and sort and put them in the lathe cabinet for you.

Keep in mind that I spent an hour and a half searching the piles in the basement trying to find the parts for the item I bought. I had limited time and paid very little attention to things that were obviously not part of my purchase. I owned a Wade 8A, purchased from a local General Electric Co. auction around 1984. I admired it, and then sold it quickly without ever figuring out the strange electrical stuff in the base. I know a little about the Wade collets and I could tell from the bed shape that there was a second Wade on the garage floor. But I have no idea what spindle nose is on those lathes, which would help identify chucks and faceplates, should any be lying around.

Larry

Well, when we love old iron we do silly things at times - don't we. At my age I certainly knew the risks going into this and decided to go and do it anyway. Wade parts do not come up all that often. My hope is to get enough additional good Wade parts to build one complete lathe on a reproduction of an early wooden stand with an over head line shaft reminiscent of one from about 1910, and then a second lathe on the metal stand with under dive as it would have been in about the late 40's.

If there was any reasonable way to go there now myself I would. If this goes badly I will just shrug and move on. I once hauled part of a rare antique machine across the country for another guy, and I would gladly do it again ..... so maybe some one else might lend a hand now. It was a long shot but I thought, if someone here was going anyway...... and I though I would just ask. Thanks for the responses.

I also though the rest of you might want to know the background - or at least how I perceived it to be - before you got involved too. I think the kid (and his mother) are probably entirely honest and trust worthy, but they lack any knowledge of what is there or what goes with what and the son appears to be pretty involved with going off to college at the moment. He is not very willing to put much effort into this.

And thank you Larry for your detailed information - it helps.

Well, when we love old iron we do silly things at times - don't we. At my age I certainly knew the risks going into this and decided to go and do it anyway. Wade parts do not come up all that often. My hope is to get enough additional good Wade parts to build one complete lathe on a reproduction of an early wooden stand with an over head line shaft reminiscent of one from about 1910, and then a second lathe on the metal stand with under dive as it would have been in about the late 40's.

BLUNTLY.. your "hope" is not on HIS dance-card.

If you are to not drive good folk away.. or yerself nuts.. you have to extend TRUST and take your chances it will be returned.

Also expect to take some lumps "now and then" for the odd Easter eggs of joy, some other time.

Do your research. Weigh the risk. Roll the dice as you dare. Take the breaks and play the hand you've dealt yerself.

It really is that simple. Very little to do with Wade-fetish. Anything in life, commerce "at a distance" most of all..

In this instance, you've created more of your own problems with this vendor than you have yet resolved.

HE is still young. Still learning. Rapidly expanding his research and filling in the gaps in his knowledge of commerce, if not Wade lathes. You cannot "deny him access" to sight of better prices than you paid by denigrating his level of knowledge. That's simply delusional!

You have instead been providing him with an education in the recycling of mistrust.

"Dreaming" about what a Wade had when NEW and expecting all that "good stuff" to be magically time-machined and "found", let alone INCLUDED is useless.

What is there is there, some of it will inevitably be worn, damaged, never WAS there missing, or have wandered off during the show. Shit happens. Wishing can't prevent nor undo that.

You would personally have had to have been "in the room, boots on the deck, and on the day" to assure any better outcome. Even so, the "better outcome" might not have been one single part more. Just a more realistic understanding of why NOT.

Can't make that happen? Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Hope it is not too late to take a better course and "just deal with" the fact that you'll get what you got when you get it.

As do we all, yah?

For somebody to go spend a day and go find everything that goes with these lathes box it up and store it until you come and get it what are you willing to pay?

On edit: aninventor, if you have any interest in me helping you contact me through my email [email protected]

Thermite shit on this threads like he does on most of them

Last edited:
For somebody to go spend a day and go find everything that goes with these lathes box it up and store it until you come and get it what are you willing to pay?

Not to mention have the experience, maturity, and basic personality to arrange access and deal amicably and diplomatically with a now-sensitized and suspicious family who have schedules of their own to honour, yah?

That could be far the harder part by this point, actually. Not as if it was a Sears store nor even HGR, is it?

My thanks to all of you who alerted us to this sale, commented on what was there, etc. - my sincerest thanks.

Also, my sincerely grateful thanks to one member here who volunteered to go to Ada and check things out, sort through what was there, pick out the Wade parts he could identify, and put them aside for me. Because of his generous help, those parts will likely still be there when I can get there, and it greatly increases the chances that these two lathes will be saved. I will leave this helpful person's name unmentioned in the hope that a certain other member here will not make him the target of a another of his lectures.

It is gratifying to see yet another demonstration of that same spirit that recently saved an historic lathe found in New England and that then got that big lathe moved across the country to its new owner on the north west coast. That spirit evidenced itself again more recently with a huge planer located in northern Ohio, one destined for south Texas. It showed itself again when a member volunteered and then made the trip to Ada the very next day - today - and helped save those Wade lathes. It is exactly that spirit that makes this an excellent group - one well worth being a member of.

It is also what makes it worth silently enduring the rants from the not so helpful member.

Back