What's new
What's new

Wade no 5 precision bench lathe

mat89RS1

Aluminum
I believe I have acquired a one of a kind. In the next year I will make a bench for this bad boy. it's a 21 inch bed that supports threadcutting attachment and powerfeed. The compound is in prestine condition! I tought I'd share it because there isn't any pictures of this machine online.

Ball bearing spindle with a wopping 1.062inch bore spindle.

Attachments

• 20190228_181609.jpg
    20190228_181609.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 393
  • 20190228_181441.jpg
    20190228_181441.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 438
  • 20190228_181454.jpg
    20190228_181454.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 351
  • 20190228_181432.jpg
    20190228_181432.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 311
  • 20190216_140122.jpg
    20190216_140122.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 468
Too cool. While not the most experienced, I have been researching Wade lathes for the last 6 months and this is the first I've seen a 5. Did it come with any collets?

I like it. I'd say 90% of what I normally do would fit just fine on a short lathe like that.

Nice to see the combo cross on that machine- I have a Wade #7 turret lathe that I'm fitting a OEM compound cross slide onto. RIght now the slide assy is a scraping project I'm moving forward slowly with. If possible could you take some pics showing the bed shoe and clamp elements of the compound slide? Mine are entirely missing, I was going to use a similar approach to what the parting slide uses but if the OEM design does something different I'd prefer to go that way.

THanks!

Greg

Given the spindle bore, this lathe is probably a #7. Spindle bore was the primary difference between the 3, 5 and 7. Kinda nice - collets for 3's and 5's are a lot harder to come by.

Wow, so cool- I would have bought that in a second if I saw it for sale. I have a 7" Wade compound apart now getting ready to be scraped in.

Do you have any of the parts for the chase screwcutting attachment? I have one for my Cataract but had to make most of the parts.

Given the spindle bore, this lathe is probably a #7. Spindle bore was the primary difference between the 3, 5 and 7. Kinda nice - collets for 3's and 5's are a lot harder to come by.

Officially, this is correct. No. 3 lathes were 1/2" collet capacity, No. 5 lathes were 3/4", and No. 7 lathes were 1".

Andy

Officially, this is correct. No. 3 lathes were 1/2" collet capacity, No. 5 lathes were 3/4", and No. 7 lathes were 1".

Andy
I think 1.062 inch spindle bore is consistent with approximately 3/4 inch capacity collets.

For comparison, 5C collets (that originally had a 1 inch capacity) fit a 1.250 spindle bore. The Wade (Hardinge type 8WN) collet used in the 8A lathe is similar to the 5C has the same body diameter.

Larry

Very nice lathe. I'm envious. The short bed versions are rare.

Here's a factory manual for your lathe. It's titled for the #7 lathe, but shows drive options for the #5 lathe, too. They're very similar and use the same accessories. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2132/3539.pdf.

Thanks for the manual, much appreciate!

not exactly shown like mine but it will help me with a few things. I'm missing some components on the tailstock with are shown in there.

Too cool. While not the most experienced, I have been researching Wade lathes for the last 6 months and this is the first I've seen a 5. Did it come with any collets?

I got the collet closer but no collets, from my understanding this takes Wade number 4 collets which are next to impossible to find. I was thinking on selling the collet closer in order to finance my purchase.

Nice to see the combo cross on that machine- I have a Wade #7 turret lathe that I'm fitting a OEM compound cross slide onto. RIght now the slide assy is a scraping project I'm moving forward slowly with. If possible could you take some pics showing the bed shoe and clamp elements of the compound slide? Mine are entirely missing, I was going to use a similar approach to what the parting slide uses but if the OEM design does something different I'd prefer to go that way.

THanks!

Greg

I'll get you pictures of that.

Wow, so cool- I would have bought that in a second if I saw it for sale. I have a 7" Wade compound apart now getting ready to be scraped in.

Do you have any of the parts for the chase screwcutting attachment? I have one for my Cataract but had to make most of the parts.

Nah, didn't get anything else with it. it was 700$CAD and there is an extra rack and pinion compound not shown.

Andy

The collet closer tube has 1inch diameter but the spindle bore is 1-1/16, the previous owner said he was using it with number 4c collets but it didn't fit properly

I think 1.062 inch spindle bore is consistent with approximately 3/4 inch capacity collets.

For comparison, 5C collets (that originally had a 1 inch capacity) fit a 1.250 spindle bore. The Wade (Hardinge type 8WN) collet used in the 8A lathe is similar to the 5C has the same body diameter.

Larry

Larry, you are correct... I conflated spindle bore with collet capacity. I think 1" collet capacity Wade spindles (No. 8, or 8W) are 1.375 bore.

Andy

I got the collet closer but no collets, from my understanding this takes Wade number 4 collets which are next to impossible to find. I was thinking on selling the collet closer in order to finance my purchase.

Probably uses Wade No. 5 collets, of which I have some available.

Andy

Is the closer the type that you tighten a wheel on the left end of the spindle to close the collet, Or is it the one that once set for size, you move a lever to tighten and release? If the later, I would be very interested in it, as I have the wheel type, and after an hours use gets very tiring

Back