What's new
What's new

Walcott shaper questions

rusty old tools

Hot Rolled
Recently picked up a Walcott shaper, and I’m trying to determine what speed I should set it up for, it’s a belt jumper using the 2 belt system with 2 loose pulleys on the machine and a single driving pulley in the center, from what I can gather it’s probably 1880s to early 90s. I’ve determined that the ram will travel about 1” per revolution. I do not have the original countershaft but I do have hangers, pulleys, and other components that I should be able to assemble what I need. Any input will be appreciated!

Here’s some photos along with a catalogue image someone posted, I’m unsure the date of the catalogue and have no details other than the image. The shaper is complete other than a ball crank, I got the ram freed up and have found no broken gears, so I think a quick clean and oil is all it needs to get running, along with building a countershaft and belting it up of course.

I’ve determined that the ram will travel about 1” per revolution

Since cutting speed is often expressed in Feet Per Minute, we can make some assumptions

Twelve turns would move ram 12". We can suppose 12 more would retract ram that amount

So 24 RPM will result in 1 foot per minute cutting speed

240 RPM would move ram at 10 FPM which is slow even for the carbon tool steels they had then

Seem like the pulley would be near 1000 RPM just to get to 40 FPM

Probably need to recheck your starting place:D

Any back gearing involved? - your 1" may be with back gears engaged?

The drive does look to be back geared, however there is no provision to change it, no eccentric, no locking pin, it’s constantly and permanently in back gear, 1000rpm seems fast, too fast, the belt width looks to be limited by the size of the shifting loops at about 1” so a bit higher rpm seems ok, but I was thinking about 500 which should give a cut speed of a little over 40fpm, since it’s a 2 belt system the return stroke can be faster, my main concern is not overwhelming the belt shift mechanism, I think enginbill may have a similar machine, if he sees this hopefully he can get in here.

First, thanks for the photos, what a beast! 1880?

240 RPM would move ram at 10 FPM which is slow even for the carbon tool steels they had then

I saw an old video of someone running a big shaper very slowly, well, I know some shapers have cross feed thread relief screws ending travel so they are safe to walk away from, and I wonder how fast they did run them with carbon steel tools under those conditions. Still even then I'm sure they'd want higher speeds sometimes, for brass or other materials.

Back