What's new
What's new

Walker turner drill press question

J. Mcglothlin

Plastic
I’ve got an old walker turner drill press that has a broken pulley inside the cast cover on the drill. My question is can it be replaced and how do you drop the chuck down thru the machine to change it. Thanks in advance.

How broken is pulley? Just a little piece gone, you probably can live with, major chunks gone replace, but it ain't cheap. IIRC you remove quill return spring, quill handle, and quill drops out the bottom. Depending on model, iirc, there are different ways the top pulley is removed, show us what you have.

The largest ring on the pulley has a large chunk out of it. I tried running it but it’s too rough. Not sure how to post a picture on this thread.

It might depend on what model you have but my Walker Turner you do not need to remove the quill or the spindle. The top pulley is supported on two bearings that ride in a bearing housing that bolts to the very top of the guard. Remove three socket head cap screws and this pulls out. I can take another look at my machine tonight. Post pics it will help with our memory.

Here’s a couple pictures of the problem

Attachments

• BF988574-F453-4C72-A237-1F4D5F248FAB.jpg
    BF988574-F453-4C72-A237-1F4D5F248FAB.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 275
  • 86B8B23A-9085-402F-941C-F8FB7427BB1A.jpg
    86B8B23A-9085-402F-941C-F8FB7427BB1A.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 279
I'm pretty sure you have to drop quill, then loosen bolts around the top bearing (see 1 bolt in first pic left edge of pic), if your lucky that bearing will lift out easily, if not, I typically use a bearing separator to grab that groove and tap it out. I seem to remember there is someone supplying parts for WT, but cannot remember who, other source would be ebay for a used unit. I know I contemplated replacing a pulley some years ago, cannot remember if it could be done with a new off the shelf pulley, would need custom bore, then use the old (or make new) brass spline pieces. I know I looked at that route, cannot remember if it was possible.

The bad news is I think this is a 700 series drill which dates prior to WWII. Much harder to find parts for than the 900 drills.

Quill assembly can be removed from below once the stop is removed. I would NOT remove the pinion and handle so you don't have to touch the quill return spring. Then you remove the two screws at the top and the top bearing can be removed. This should allow you to remove the pulley assembly.

I have a dp like that.. I wound up replacing the whole pulley with a cast iron one as the one I had was totally crapped out.. The bearing in it is almost impossible to find ...Ramsay 1:

Mike....I’m not sure what yr this machine is. The badge on the front of the drill says:
Walker Turner Company
“The Driver”
Power Tools
GKF
Ball bearing equiped

I think VintageMachinery.org has some literature on the WT drills and shows differences. I also seem to recall seeing model# cast into head/table/base on some models, but not all iirc. I have 2 in my shop, and have refurbed a few others, but its been awhile. The pulley bearings are no longer available, seem to recall there is a bearing available a few thou undersize that locktited into place does work, think I read that here or on another forum.

Some years ago I changed the bearings in my WT drill press along with the pulley on the spindle.. I used three cast iron step pulleys and made an idler in the middle so that I could get more speed range ....I used a motor off of one of the "unmentionable" lathes that I had on hand as it was very old and really fit nicely...

There was a guy on Ebay who was selling the spindle pulley bearing (the one with an extended inner race on one side) so I was lucky there...

Mine has served me well over the years.. It is a table model and I have it on a stand with drawers underneath for storing drill press related items.. So now I have four drill presses... LOL always good to have a spare...Ramsay 1:)

Back