What's new
What's new

Walker Turner / Rockwell 20 inch Band Saw

Frank R

Stainless
output_image1635180338354.jpg
I picked this up last week. It was advertised as a Walker-Turner but I could not find any photos of a 20" WT wood/metal bandsaw. But I did find plenty of pictures of an identical saw that was badged as a Rockwell. Suspecting the seller was just mistaken, I went to get it.

Screenshot 2021-10-25 141503.jpg
I ended up paying $200 for it. The guy plugged it in for me so I could see that it ran. He said that the tires would need to be replaced. He then loaded it onto my trailer. It is a big saw but it looks so small under a 50 ton crane.

20211023_201359.jpg
It turns out it was a Walker Turner; I could barely make it out on the old badge. It also says it is a division of Rockwell. Further research showed that Rockwell bought WT around 1958.

20211023_201351.jpg
The first thing I did was build a rolling cart.

My brother's phase converter uses 30 amp receptacles but my saw only had a 20 amp plug; I will have to swap that out. I want to get it under power and test the variable speed drive mechanism. I read that some have a tendency of working there way out of low speed while in operation.

20211023_201503.jpg
Yep, the old tires need replacing. Any advice on which ones to get and where to get them? Is that groove on the wheel going to be a problem?

Nice find. Looks like it could cut metal if it will gear down slower.
There is several people on eBay selling "tires" for replacement for bandsaw wheels. I bought a set from a seller out of Florida that specialize in bandsaw parts and other woodworking equipment. I think they make them to order in house from a reel of urethane belting material. You can see the place where they are fused together. So far they are holding up good. They are a bear to get stretched onto the wheels on the saw. A little perseudation and vise grips, C-clamps, hair dryer/heat gun, and such.

Ken

From what I could see of it, it looks very much like my Delta Rockwell 20" bandsaw, model no. 28-365. Mine dates from 1966. I used to own a 14" Walker Turner and from what I see of your machine it looks a lot more like a Rockwell than a WT.

metalmagpie

From what I could see of it, it looks very much like my Delta Rockwell 20" bandsaw, model no. 28-365. Mine dates from 1966. I used to own a 14" Walker Turner and from what I see of your machine it looks a lot more like a Rockwell than a WT.

metalmagpie

See the history in my first post.

Well, I found that bandsaw tire prices are all over the place, but they make a direct replacement for my machine. Same thickness, pre-crowned, and it has the rib to fit the groove. The price is $255 for a pair. Not cheap but I won't have to mess around with filling the groove with epoxy (as I read) or crowning a flat tire. These are made of urethane and should outlast me.

I bought them from the Bandsaw Tire Warehouse who claim to be worlds largest manufacturer of urethane band saw tires.

So far the tires cost more than the machine did. :)

I don't know the history of WT and Rockwell/Delta but that band saw is made for the exact same castings as the early Rockwell/Delta 20":

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 7.26.20 AM.jpg

I have seen similar WT>Rockwell such as the radial arm drill etc.
WT was no doubt consumed by Rockwell at some point and they carried on some of the gear for a while.
Or rebadged...?
Was WT producing machines for Delta?

I have the WT 16"- also a saw heavy on cast iron castings for everything.
The Rockwell 20" changed over to plate at some point and I have never seen a cast iron door machine.

I believe there was an intermediate ownership of W/T by Kearny & Trecker prior to Rockwell/Delta. I also have an early Walker Turner radial drill that is identical to the one noted by Trboatworks above. At some point the W/T name was dropped although the machines continued to be built under the Rockwell/Delta brand.

Tom B.

Chronic complaint on PM that the < whatever > cost more than the machine-tool cost.

Not to forget...

All it really means is that we got one Helluva deal on the machine-tool!

Just price a new machine of comparable capacity, quality, and durability.

If even they can still be had at any sane price... in reasonable time... or even at all.

Not complaining; that is what the smiley face indicated. My brother told me he paid $1500 for a 20" Powermatic 20 years ago, and he had to replace the tires.

Back