What's new
What's new

Want to ID an old Sunnen Hone

rgerlach

Aluminum
I just acquired an old Sunnen rod hone. Unfortunately the ID label is missing. I think it is an LB but no sure. Can anyone ID it? Does anyone have one of these?

WP_20170628_007.jpgWP_20170628_006 (2).jpg

It's an LB, vintage 1930s or maybe 40s. To this day, Sunnen still differentiates between Industrial end users and Automotive end users; automotive machines were painted red. The oil cups reveal it's got Babbitt bearings, but the nature of honing with the expandable shoes means it really doesn't care whether the spindle has play, it will still make perfect holes. Current mandrels will fit, as will both concentric and eccentric bushings. We have a 1934 bench-top model just like yours only it didn't have a pump and tank, you had to spray oil on the work. Ours has been mounted on a shop-built tank with an electric pump and is used for only one job, using a $2000 custom-built mandrel--and it's just as good for the purpose as one of our newer Sunnens. The mandrel is the critical element, it doesn't much care what rotates it.

I live within walking distance of Sunnen but all my contacts there have retired and gone their various ways. A job shop I do work for does a lot of business with Sunnen so i may be able to get some information through them. The exact model probably doesn't matter that much. They have used the basic machine forever, just added things like the "sensitive" pressure control on my MBB1600.

Bill

I picked up an LBN a few years ago, finally thinking about setting it up. Came with some mandrels. I assume the stones are the same for all?
Doesn't have an oil setup, will try to remedy that.

It's an LB, vintage 1930s or maybe 40s. To this day, Sunnen still differentiates between Industrial end users and Automotive end users; automotive machines were painted red. The oil cups reveal it's got Babbitt bearings, but the nature of honing with the expandable shoes means it really doesn't care whether the spindle has play, it will still make perfect holes. Current mandrels will fit, as will both concentric and eccentric bushings. We have a 1934 bench-top model just like yours only it didn't have a pump and tank, you had to spray oil on the work. Ours has been mounted on a shop-built tank with an electric pump and is used for only one job, using a $2000 custom-built mandrel--and it's just as good for the purpose as one of our newer Sunnens. The mandrel is the critical element, it doesn't much care what rotates it.
That was a good nugget of information and it was what I was hoping to hear. It makes sense about the spindle play. Next up is finding a manual for this thing.

RonG

Back