What's new
What's new

Wanted: Boynton Plummer shaper flywheel

Hit Miss Engine

Cast Iron
I was just wondering if anyone had a spare flywheel for a Boynton Plummer shaper they may be interested in letting go...I have the smaller shaper...Im not sure if the flywheels differ in size or not? Thanks in advance. George

The smaller has a flywheel with about a 1-5/16 inch face and 13-13/16 inch OD. Unfortunately someone cut a V-belt groove in mine somewhere along the way. Sorry, I don't have a spare kicking around.

20160301_202144.jpg

esbutler,
I was thinking of finding a flywheel and taking it to the foundry and having a new one cast... If the groove turned in your flywheel makes you loose sleep at night we could use your flywheel...fill the groove and have a couple cast... The cost of casting that wheel will probably be around $125.00 give or take then of course a little time machining it. If you are interested let me know and we can work something out. George

I was also wondering where I might be able to find the serial number on my machine... I looked through some older posts on these shapers and they mentioned the name and serial number being stamped at the top right end of the slide.. After scraping some grease I could not find any markings... The legs of my machine say Boynton and Plummer Makers... I have noticed in looking at pictures of other posted shapers that the back of the body of the machine also has the name cast in to it but mine does not?? The clapper box has 505 and 509 stamped in two seperate places on two seperate parts which I am assuming are part numbers? The knee (table) on the right hand side has a number 10 stamped on it?? Any suggestions as to where else to look for a serial number or other ideas as to determine if it is earlier? I will post a few more pics when i pull them up on my phone. Thanks George

After doing some more research on PM I found another place to look for a serial number and it was under some old paint and grease at the middle of the top of the vertical ways... 505 ... Does anyone know the production numbers for what year?

Just randomly looking around eBay and found a listing for a curved spoke flywheel... looks to be a Boynton so I bought it. Once it arrives I will confirm the fit and I may have a few cast if anyone needs a missing flywheel.

Attachments

• 8492ADB6-4FC3-465A-B231-3C4707512DF7.jpg
    8492ADB6-4FC3-465A-B231-3C4707512DF7.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 81
And there were MANY curve spoke flywheels in the day. My Valley Machine Co. "Bucket plunger Steam Pump" (1874) has such a beast.

image036.jpg

A fellow collector who was missing his flywheel ended up with an almost identical flywheel from a post drill - which are plentiful and commonly cheap.

Joe in NH

Here's the whole shaper in Maine. It's missing its cone pulley. $450

Ad text:
Boyton and Plummer metal shaper from the late 1800's. This machine is in good working order. It has a 9 inch wide by 6 inch deep cutting area. The original vise and stand. This is a pretty sweet antique machine. The original flat belt step pulley has been replace with an electric motor and a v belt step pulley system. This old irn is getting pretty rare. Ph show contact info
ask for Paul

Boyton and Plummer metal shaper - tools - by owner - sale

Attachments

• 00K0K_k0oMfgF5ZxP_1200x900.jpg
    00K0K_k0oMfgF5ZxP_1200x900.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 00f0f_3BFEMuh3RVD_1200x900.jpg
    00f0f_3BFEMuh3RVD_1200x900.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 00A0A_hwF8VIKSLGp_1200x900.jpg
    00A0A_hwF8VIKSLGp_1200x900.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 00000_gzp6uoe7AhN_1200x900.jpg
    00000_gzp6uoe7AhN_1200x900.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 59
Was it the pull tab soda can That gave it away Rob?

That and the top surface of the bench.
Here are larger pictures.
It does look like a Boynton.

George, you need to do something about your small pictures.

Rob

Attachments

• flywheel 1.jpg
    flywheel 1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 43
  • flywheel 2.jpg
    flywheel 2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 41
  • flywheel 3.jpg
    flywheel 3.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 50
That and the top surface of the bench.
Here are larger pictures.
It does look like a Boynton.

George, you need to do something about your small pictures.

Rob
I do need to investigate why my pictures are always so small and poor quality... I would like to blame it on my phone but it’s most likely something I’m doing wrong.

Just randomly looking around eBay and found a listing for a curved spoke flywheel... looks to be a Boynton so I bought it...
I was going to suggest you get one off a Boynton & Plummer post drill.

I've a Boynton & Plummer No. 1 1/2 post drill that was missing a flywheel. I bought a broken Boynton & Plummer No.1 post drill for the flywheel - they appear to be the same.

However, their post drill flywheels have a round-section rim. That rectangular-section rim flywheel you've bought looks a better bet.

Photos when assembled please.

Cheers, Vann.

Do you have a real camera? Seems the only small pics come from cell phones.

My Wife has a nice camera... I always go for the quick and easy which is my cell phone.. but not always the best I guess... my phone is a pretty new version IPhone... I would have thought the quality was better?

My Wife has a nice camera... I always go for the quick and easy which is my cell phone.. but not always the best I guess... my phone is a pretty new version IPhone... I would have thought the quality was better?

I am not that familiar with iPhone, but depending on the model there are probably camera settings that allow you to adjust the size, resolution, ect of photos the phone takes.

Andy

Back