What's new
What's new

WANTED: Early Horizontal Mill

Hit Miss Engine

Cast Iron
I am in search of an early small floor standing Milling machine...by early I mean 1800’s time frame, the earlier the better. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks George

The Hendey No. 1 BH is heavy but doesn't take up a lot of floor space. I don't know what size you're looking for but I have a Hendey No. 1B and I don't really think of it as big.

I restored this little guy Please help ID horizontal mill
and now that I have the Hendey I might be letting it go. It is special though as it is a rack-pinion feed on the X and Z. I thought I had a thread of the restoration but I don't see it anymore. If you're interested I can post some pictures. I was planning on converting it to a lead-screw for the X but then the Hendey came along.

That P&W mill is more or less the operational equivalent of my Brown & Sharpe Universal Mill No 1255 (that you inquired about.) It even has the rather narrow work table which is indicative of competing head for head with the Brown & Sharpe version which came to being primarily for machining twist drills (but was advertised as a "toolmaker mill." I guess a twist drill is "tooling.")

Joe in NH

That P&W mill is more or less the operational equivalent of my Brown & Sharpe Universal Mill No 1255 (that you inquired about.) It even has the rather narrow work table which is indicative of competing head for head with the Brown & Sharpe version which came to being primarily for machining twist drills (but was advertised as a "toolmaker mill." I guess a twist drill is "tooling.")

Joe in NH

That P&W is a plain mill, not universal.

Rob

Thank you everyone for the help... so far none of these machines fit the bill for what I am looking for .. I would like to find earlier examples preferably unmolested (asking a lot I know) just keeping my feelers out there to see what is available.

This looks like it'll fit the bill for you.

Vintage Hendey No. 1 BH Universal Milling Machine circa.1890 - tools...

And just in case you're interested, i have it's younger cousin

Hendey 14 x 8 Tiebar S/N 24178 For Sale Oswego NY

I love your No 1. I probably would have bought it, but you posted this a week after I picked up my No.2. But note it is a bit younger than thought. The gear-box plate lists a patent granted in 1899 (the same as mine), so it obviously was built after that. But I think your single-piece overhead support indicates early production, probably before 1920? Perhaps Hendeyman will inform us...

Back