What's new
What's new

Wanted: Metal shaper, central Virginia area

LappingLuke

Plastic
Not sure if this is the right place to put this. But here is what I'm after.

I'm on the hunt for a "modern" (1930s and up) shaper. Specifically looking for one with a universal table and clutch. Power downfeed another plus. Anything 6,000 lbs or below.

Willing to go out about 350 miles to pick up. I can rig, load onto trailer.
Also might entertain the idea of having one shipped in on a flatbed if the seller can load with forklift. Will consider up to 700 miles.

I currently own a ancient early 1900s plain shaper converted from lineshaft to motor driven. Looking for a newer machine with less wear and battle damage. I've searched all over the internet looking for reasonable deals, but no luck so far. Would like to get a good one before they become impossible to find.

I was in a similar boat a couple of years ago. My purchase criteria was fairly narrow limiting the pool of available options. I posted a similar message on this forum and got a minimal response. Not because folks are unwilling, but because at the time i was looking, very few machines that matched my criteria were available. The strategy that ultimately worked for me was to use Craigslist. I posted a "metal shaper wanted" add in the tools section of the large cities within my search radius. My thinking was that lots of people use craigslist to either buy or sell machinist tools many of whom are unaware of the PM forum. My hope was that someone may read my add who knows someone with a the machine i was looking for etc. Ultimately, a gentleman in PA read my add and knew a machinery dealer just north of Philly with the exact machine i was hunting for. I had to pay more than i hoped but the exact machine i was looking for now sits in my shop.

Good luck

If you can find one look for a Cinn 16 heavy or a 24 standard both great machines, look for the newer ones with out the oil tube and oil dist on the top, also power down feed is very nice...Phil

PM sent to ncjeeper.

I thought about machinery dealers too, and did some browsing. The dealers that listed shapers online do have several nice machines that are close to what I want. But their asking price is high. Also looks like shipping costs will be up there. Buying machinery sight unseen always has risks. Has anyone ever had success making lowball offers to ebay sellers?

Will try probing craigslist for leads. Watch and wait for the right deal.

If you can find one look for a Cinn 16 heavy or a 24 standard both great machines, look for the newer ones with out the oil tube and oil dist on the top, also power down feed is very nice...Phil

Curious, what is wrong with the Cincinnati that has the oil tube and distributor on top?

Just older, and dont have pressure oil to the table and slide, but they do look neat with the dip oiler on top and the sliding oil tubes dont they...Phil

Well almost,I dont see the power down feed , but yes looks like you took the one out of my shop..I better go look to see if its still where I left it...Phil

Just keep looking. I passively looked for several years, and then two years seriously. I had heard for years shapers sold by the pound, at most a few hundred dollars. So I get serious, two 24's, G&E, and Gemco, still under power, auctioned for around $3,000. One I'd have to hire a rigger, the other fob. A short time later I bought one, not under power,fob, for some less, not too far away on feeBay.

Back