Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    IRELAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ward 3DS capstan/turret lathe

Hello, I have recently acquired a Ward 3DS lathe but there is some end float in the spindle. Is it an easy job to fix this please? It is a very old very solid machine and I would like to get it going in a usable condition. It had a solid bar stuck in the spindle which took me a few weeks to drill out and I am wondering if some previous owner caused damage trying to beat it out.
    Thank you in advance.
    Herbie Mitchell

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Organeer View Post
    Hello, I have recently acquired a Ward 3DS lathe but there is some end float in the spindle. Is it an easy job to fix this please? It is a very old very solid machine and I would like to get it going in a usable condition. It had a solid bar stuck in the spindle which took me a few weeks to drill out and I am wondering if some previous owner caused damage trying to beat it out.
    Thank you in advance.
    Herbie Mitchell
    How much end float ? From what I recall of the main spindle bearings they were a matched pair of angular contact bearings with two spacers between the bearing faces. The spacers were ground differentially to set the correct running clearance and they came with the bearings. The bearings had a etched arrow head on the sides and the arrow had had to point away from the lathe headstock and down the bed so to speak. Altering one of the spacers would be the only way I can see of adjusting the bearings although in my experience adjustment was very rarely, if ever, needed. We just bought new bearing sets, they could afford it back in day. " Wards " made 1000's of the 3DS model over many years so they may not all be the same design.

Regards Tyrone.

3. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a parts book for a 3DS Autoward plug lathe.....the head is the same ,era being 1960s,I think ......I fancy they used special R&M plain rollers ,Ill search and find the books......EDIT...looked in the book ....front 2x angular contacts /N386A,rear roller /RLS19 special.....Fronts noted (in pencil) as being GBP 286/15/- the pair ,RLS 19 at GBP 78/10/6d

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    I have a parts book for a 3DS Autoward plug lathe.....the head is the same ,era being 1960s,I think ......I fancy they used special R&M plain rollers ,Ill search and find the books......EDIT...looked in the book ....front 2x angular contacts /N386A,rear roller /RLS19 special.....Fronts noted (in pencil) as being GBP 286/15/- the pair ,RLS 19 at GBP 78/10/6d
    Obviously those prices are pre-decimalisation which if my memory serves me well was around 1972 or 3. The place I was working at then bought us all 150mm and 300mm chrome plated " Chestermans " rules so we could cope !

You'd be very lucky to get them at anything like that price today.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was surprised at the prices ....all three bearings approximately GBP 360.......which was the price of a new 650cc Triumph or BSA motor bike in the late 60s..(purchase tax added of course)..but angular contacts are disproportionately dear,considering how cheap standard deep groove ball bearings are.Volume of sales ,I guess.