What's new
What's new

Ward 3DS capstan/turret lathe

Organeer

Plastic
Hello, I have recently acquired a Ward 3DS lathe but there is some end float in the spindle. Is it an easy job to fix this please? It is a very old very solid machine and I would like to get it going in a usable condition. It had a solid bar stuck in the spindle which took me a few weeks to drill out and I am wondering if some previous owner caused damage trying to beat it out.
Thank you in advance.
Herbie Mitchell

Hello, I have recently acquired a Ward 3DS lathe but there is some end float in the spindle. Is it an easy job to fix this please? It is a very old very solid machine and I would like to get it going in a usable condition. It had a solid bar stuck in the spindle which took me a few weeks to drill out and I am wondering if some previous owner caused damage trying to beat it out.
Thank you in advance.
Herbie Mitchell

How much end float ? From what I recall of the main spindle bearings they were a matched pair of angular contact bearings with two spacers between the bearing faces. The spacers were ground differentially to set the correct running clearance and they came with the bearings. The bearings had a etched arrow head on the sides and the arrow had had to point away from the lathe headstock and down the bed so to speak. Altering one of the spacers would be the only way I can see of adjusting the bearings although in my experience adjustment was very rarely, if ever, needed. We just bought new bearing sets, they could afford it back in day. " Wards " made 1000's of the 3DS model over many years so they may not all be the same design.

Regards Tyrone.

I have a parts book for a 3DS Autoward plug lathe.....the head is the same ,era being 1960s,I think ......I fancy they used special R&M plain rollers ,Ill search and find the books......EDIT...looked in the book ....front 2x angular contacts /N386A,rear roller /RLS19 special.....Fronts noted (in pencil) as being GBP 286/15/- the pair ,RLS 19 at GBP 78/10/6d

I have a parts book for a 3DS Autoward plug lathe.....the head is the same ,era being 1960s,I think ......I fancy they used special R&M plain rollers ,Ill search and find the books......EDIT...looked in the book ....front 2x angular contacts /N386A,rear roller /RLS19 special.....Fronts noted (in pencil) as being GBP 286/15/- the pair ,RLS 19 at GBP 78/10/6d

Obviously those prices are pre-decimalisation which if my memory serves me well was around 1972 or 3. The place I was working at then bought us all 150mm and 300mm chrome plated " Chestermans " rules so we could cope !

You'd be very lucky to get them at anything like that price today.

Regards Tyrone.

I was surprised at the prices ....all three bearings approximately GBP 360.......which was the price of a new 650cc Triumph or BSA motor bike in the late 60s..(purchase tax added of course)..but angular contacts are disproportionately dear,considering how cheap standard deep groove ball bearings are.Volume of sales ,I guess.

ward 2db capstan

I was surprised at the prices ....all three bearings approximately GBP 360.......which was the price of a new 650cc Triumph or BSA motor bike in the late 60s..(purchase tax added of course)..but angular contacts are disproportionately dear,considering how cheap standard deep groove ball bearings are.Volume of sales ,I guess.

Hi Gents,
Slightly off piste...but wondered if anyone can help
recently purchased a late ward 2db capstan...pretty fair condition, but, on turret, the turret keeps missing on the turn when you have advanced the turret slide...ive taken turret off and cleaned all the inside, looks good, but keeps doing it, the tang that pulls the turret round, seems very sticky, is ther ea spring inside here, and if so, how do i strip it down to clean and rebuild..
machines well otherwise,
many thanks chris

On one of the hobby machine forums ,there is a long series ,with pictures of rebuilding a Ward 2D .....might be model Engineer...not sure. But they sort out all the problems with a seemingly good condition machine ,but which does have significant wear on parts....as you do when a machine has made 1,000 bits day for 50 years.

Hi
Thanks for the info...i will look up both a see from there..something seems strange with this, but cant seem to nail it, used it all day and was fine, came to it again and its stuck and missing the turn again, i think it will need a full strip down, quite right jogn, maybe made 100k of bits over its lifetime, but still plenty left..:)

One place I worked ,not only were the capstans worn out ,but where the operator stood ,there were deep holes worn in the 3" thick hardwood floor timbers.....All the British capstans have an overhead guide bar ,which runs into bushes in the tooling .....if this fit is kept tight ,it over rides slide and indexing wear ,and keeps the parts accurate.

Ward Capstan rebuils HELP

Hi
Thanks for the info...i will look up both a see from there..something seems strange with this, but cant seem to nail it, used it all day and was fine, came to it again and its stuck and missing the turn again, i think it will need a full strip down, quite right jogn, maybe made 100k of bits over its lifetime, but still plenty left..:)

We can help you with nearly all parts for this Ward Capstan
And offer help over the Phone and email.With over 80 years of rebuilding and selling these capstans father & son.
Now only the sons are left but we will do our best to help.
Virtually all manuals of every Ward and Herbert capstan /turret lathe made.

Back