Ward Turret Lathe - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

William,

I ordered an operators manual via eBay UK, and had it shipped to a friend in London, who then forwarded it on to me.

Another PM member (Michael Moore, post #75 in this thread) ended up buying the lathe I had my eye on, so I gave him my manuals. I didn't expect to come across another No. 7 in my lifetime.

I scanned the manual at one point, but I haven't been able to find the documents on my computer. I'll have to dig through my backups to see if I can hunt them down. In the mean time, try contacting Michael, he might be able to help you out with scans or photocopies.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ward 3a manual

G'day Peter,
    I'd be pleased to get a copy of every page of this manual.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rod Bennett

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Bennett View Post
    G'day Peter,
    I'd be pleased to get a copy of every page of this manual.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rod Bennett
    Rod, I have sent you a PM, will send you all the Ward 3A brochure scans.

If anyone wants scans of a Ward 3A brochure, please send me your e-mail address.

BTW, interesting to see that when I click on my Photobucket thumbnails from earlier in this thread (post #77, 2011), the full size images still appear OK, without any watermark.

Lesson being, those members who deleted their Photobucket accounts could have left them intact for the benefit of present day readers. There are a lot of photos in this thread which have simply vanished, presumably because of deleted Photobucket accounts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    Keelan,

I think it would be a big mistake to get this lathe thinking it will do the job of a centre lathe. You are quite mistaken about the "imported Chinese" lathe - it will be immeasurably more useful than the Ward for any type of home shop use. It is a common fault made by beginners (myself included, I almost bought a Herbert capstan in the 1980's - such a nice looking, cheap lathe...but useless for the home workshop).

Having spent the last few years getting rid of machines I will never use, in my opinion such machines are worse than useless - they take your time, money and space and you still don't have what you really need - in your case a normal centre lathe.

This is not a rant, just a strong opinion!
    I am a bit embarrassed to read this post I made back in 2009 ....I have recently bought a Ward 2DS....

ward-2ds-07.jpg

5. Likes Asquith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am a bit embarrassed to read this post I made back in 2009 ....I have recently bought a Ward 2DS....

ward-2ds-07.jpg
    Nice machine. Do you know what the initials “ DS “ stands for ?

That photo brings back lots of memories. I was rebuilding the headstock on one and I had the drawings on a table behind me. I was working from the operators station. Having the drawing the wrong way round led me to install one of the gears that is shifted with the rotary lever on the front the wrong way around ! I never made that mistake again. Always orientate the drawing the way you’re working.

Regards Tyrone.

7. Likes Peter S liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DS is dual slide...I once bought a 3DS AutoWard from the Qld Railways,for peanuts ,because it was electronic and obsolete.....In beautiful condition,as was all the QGR machine tools,tons of spares ,especially little mechanical relays in clear plastic cases,and Maxam solenoid valves.......Hundreds of them.......there were about 40 in the machine.....a dozen books for the machine,maintenance ,installation,course book,ideas for setups ,a big parts book about 2ft long,all of which I still have.....I sold it to a guy who was setting up to build ultralight aircraft,....unfortunately about six months later he was killed in a crash ,and then his father was wanting me to buy it for an inflated price,as they had paid some CNC jockey to set it up.......

9. Likes Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Tyrone,

John has the right idea, Ward called it a "Double Slide Capstan Rest".

Here are some pages from the 2DS brochure. The brochure is dated 6/59 and speaks of the 'DS' being a new model. I have the original paper work for this lathe and it was supplied in 1960.

I reckon it has pleasing array of levers, handles, graduated dials, stops, cocks, mechanical complexity and shiny bits

ward-2ds-brochure-page-06a.jpg ward-2ds-brochure-page-02a.jpg ward-2ds-brochure-page-02b.jpg ward-2ds-brochure-page-12-13a.jpg ward-2ds-brochure-page-07a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Hi Mac, Don't consider myself an expert but in my opinion Herbert's were slightly better built than Wards. The materials used seemed to be of a higher quality but in all truth both made very good mass production lathes. What surprises me is that both companies went to the wall so suddenly after dominating the large U.K. and Commomweath markets for so long. Maybe it's because they never moved with the times. I remember going to a course on the "Auto Ward" at the Worcester factory in the early 1970's ( Blackpole Rd ,I think ), very impressive set up. About 20 years later I went to an auction in that neck of the woods, on a small trading estate. Facing the building where the auction was taking place was a small modern industrial unit with the sign " Ward" over the door. When I asked the auctioneer if that was a branch of the world famous company he said " No, that's all that's left, they just make spare parts now ". Very sad. Regards Tyrone.
    Hello Tyrone
    I have owned a few Wards over the years.
    The first I bought in Oldham, Lancashire, when I was only just out of school so 1978ish was a No 7 combination turret. I was very green at the time and the lathe had had the commonly done spruce up - new paint! and I as told it was a 1950's machine. Only after having bought it and had it delivered for a total of £720 did I enquire from Wards about its history.
    I received a typed response on very impressive letter headed paper saying that " We regret to inform you that you have been misled and that Ward 7 turret, serial number XYZ was one of a batch of 6 delivered to the De Haviland aircraft company in Bristol in 1936". They followed this up stating that very few spares were available and certainly none of the gears as the pressure angle had been changed on all the gears at some time after 1936.
    However I did some profitable jobs on the lathe, added some more tooling,learned a lot and then eventually sold it to an Oldham Engineering company in Chadderton so it didn't work out too badly for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup DS = double slide, as in under the hex turret (in Peter S's pic 3)

Warning / tip / hinte / whatever. .........regularly remove and clean that short slide block, and replace the wipers - because they are renowned for getting swarf & chips trapped in the slideways, thus causing wear (because they're usually closest to the cutting action.

ISTR (it's 40 odd years !!) they're a bit of a PITA to do - but very worthwhile.

13. Likes Tyrone Shoelaces, Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Tyrone,

John has the right idea, Ward called it a "Double Slide Capstan Rest".

Here are some pages from the 2DS brochure. The brochure is dated 6/59 and speaks of the 'DS' being a new model. I have the original paper work for this lathe and it was supplied in 1960.

I reckon it has pleasing array of levers, handles, graduated dials, stops, cocks, mechanical complexity and shiny bits

ward-2ds-brochure-page-06a.jpg ward-2ds-brochure-page-02a.jpg ward-2ds-brochure-page-02b.jpg ward-2ds-brochure-page-12-13a.jpg ward-2ds-brochure-page-07a.jpg
    You’ve got a great little lathe there. Did it come with a bar feed ? The only real problem with them - you could get coolant rot in the aprons, especially the one on the saddle. One’s that had been worked hard could sometimes need new clutch plates.
    There are four clutches controlled by those levers on top of the headstock - fast/slow and forward/reverse.

Regards Tyrone.

15. Likes Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ward-2ds-07.jpg
    Was that the machine stored in a storage unit on the north shore?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Did it come with a bar feed ?
    Tyrone,
    There was a bar feed but the seller kept it. I have no need for it at present, but will keep in touch with him.

One job I have been doing of late on a centre lathe is face, centre drill, drill, tap, circlip groove both ends of 20mm shafts, usually about 5-600mm long, faced to length using a depth stop from the rear of the spindle bore.

I have got quite good at this - say 400 ends at a time... and thought the Ward might be ideal for the job. I am not used to quantities like this and have a better appreciation of saving seconds! Even if for the sake of boredom.

shafts-20mm-qty-x210.jpg

18. Likes Asquith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwud View Post
    Was that the machine stored in a storage unit on the north shore?
    Greenwud,

Yes that's the one. I was buying something else from Geoff and had a look at the Ward while I was there. It looked in good condition, though I haven't run it yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can anyone explain what a Ward 2CA is? There is one for sale locally. I am not buying, just curious.

Maybe an updated 2A?

I see there was also a 2C which looks pretty similar to the 2CA.

(Photos taken from auction listing):

ward-2ca-01.jpg ward-2ca-03.jpg ward-2ca-02.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Greenwud,

Yes that's the one. I was buying something else from Geoff and had a look at the Ward while I was there. It looked in good condition, though I haven't run it yet.
    The guy who owned it originally used it to make ice cream scoops. Yes it had the bar feed there originally.

22. Likes Jim Christie, Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tyrone,
    There was a bar feed but the seller kept it. I have no need for it at present, but will keep in touch with him.

One job I have been doing of late on a centre lathe is face, centre drill, drill, tap, circlip groove both ends of 20mm shafts, usually about 5-600mm long, faced to length using a depth stop from the rear of the spindle bore.

I have got quite good at this - say 400 ends at a time... and thought the Ward might be ideal for the job. I am not used to quantities like this and have a better appreciation of saving seconds! Even if for the sake of boredom.

shafts-20mm-qty-x210.jpg
    The little “ Ward “ would be perfect for doing that sort of work.

It was on a job just like on a “ Ward “ 3A that I had my first and only industrial injury as an apprentice. I was drilling and tapping some bars 5/8” Whit up the ends. I’d withdrawn the tap and switched the lathe off and it was almost stopped. I saw a turning just hanging out of the tapped hole and I went to flick it away with the forefinger on my left hand !
    Before I knew what was happening my finger was up the tapped hole for about 1-1/2 inches. Without thinking I reached over and put the lathe straight into reverse and un-screwed my finger. It was pretty badly damaged and the end was almost hanging off.

I ended up having the end sewn back on in the local Casualty department. 50 odd years later it’s still pretty useless.

Be careful, even small lathes can hurt you.

Regarding the 2CA, are the ways covered with sheet metal way protectors. The old 2A’s didn’t have covered ways.

Regards Tyrone.

24. Likes Peter S liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ive got a Ward long bar feed in the container-stuff is next to be moved or scrapped.....lots of weight and takes up a lot of space......I prefer the short bar feed ,which worked with a sort of bicycle sprocket set up,and no tube......no big deal if a 20' bar has to be cut into three....Not for me anyway.......People always say capstans are slow ,get a CNC......difference would be about $100k.and the 100 years it would take to get any CNC I bought to be operational.

26. Likes Peter S, Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwud View Post
    The guy who owned it originally used it to make ice cream scoops. Yes it had the bar feed there originally.
    Hi Greenwud,
    Would you mind contacting me regarding my Ward history please? If you click on my name you can send a PM or email. Cheers, Peter