What's new
What's new

watchmakers milling spindle gear cutting slide lathe type identification if possible?

ivan schafeldt

Plastic
i have this spindle milling slide and cant find what kind of watchmekers lathe it fits, i think ive exhausted googles images and can find plenty almost identical objet d'art but not exactly...

every other milling slide appears to have a flat base and hole for a mounting bolt but this one has a slotted chamfered slide mounting and no visible means to lock it into place, im presuming it somehow slots onto a cross slide, it looks similar to lorch attachments but as i said all of them have flat bases and a hole

im hoping beyond hope there is a wizened font of all knowledge out there in forum world that can help me identify what it fits.

my measurements are a little off as i was raised on the metric dark side at the point imperial was being phased out and im trying to do this in old money

the spindle takes a 6mm.....1/4 inch collet about a 1/4 inch of thread at 30/32tpi ish so im figuring its not from the heavier 8mm selection (genius i know) of watchmakers lathes.

vertical slide length 3 1/4 inches, base depth just shy of 1 1/2 inches, width also shy of 1 1/2 inches the slide rail/chamfer is 1/16 short of an inch at te widest part.

i cant tell if the spindle knob is ivory or casein plastic so thats making it harder to tell an approximate age also

IMG_8568.jpgIMG_8569.jpg

Havn't looked into this forum for quite a while ... so this is a very old thread, but no one responded.

This is most likely a Lorch, Schmidt & Co. or Wolf, Jahn & Co. vertical slide for a D-bed watchmakers lathe. The top-slide was pulled out and the dove-tailed foot of the slide put in instead.

What is missing, is the leadscrew nut. This would be a sort of brass plate that is fixed with two screws into the holes of the bottom of the dove-tail.

The drawbar-knob is not original, which would have been black bakelite.

The age is difficult to judge, as these lathes were produced from the 1880s right through to the late 1950s, when both companies went into receivership and were wound up. I would guess that this is a pre WWI product, as later the the top-slide was given two T-slots and the vertical slides a flat base to screw onto the top-slide.

I have a very similar 6 mm collet milling attachment with dovetail base, also with no maker name. But I also have a signed Wolf Jahn 8 mm collet milling attachment with the slotted base. You can see the similarities in the construction, especially the graduated feed dial and the oval hole for installing the brass feed nut. The hole does allow one to see the nut when the slide is at the right position, as in my pictures. My last picture shows the 6 mm attachment with the spindle removed to show the screw that holds the feed nut.

I do not have a Lorch milling attachment, so I cannot say what they look like.

The pictures in post #1 do not allow one to say if the feed nut is missing, but I suspect it is still complete.

Larry

DSC02363.jpg DSC02364.jpg DSC02365.jpg DSC02367.jpg DSC02368.jpg

As I said, I do not have a Lorch, Schmidt milling attachment. But I do have a Lorch, Schmidt vise made to replace the live spindle on one of their milling attachments. It turns out to have the same distance between the attaching screw holes (29 mm) as the distance on my unmarked 6 mm milling attachment. But the diameter of the center pivot pin on the vise (8 mm) is different from the pin (7 mm) on the milling attachment. So I will not say that the unmarked milling attachment is or is not by Lorch.

Larry

DSC02369.jpg DSC02370.jpg DSC02371.jpg

Back