What's new
What's new

Waterbury Simplicity Con Rod lathe LOOK HERE

EOD Ray

Plastic
Found in western Oklahoma. I have no use for it took me a while to confirm what it is. Quite a few pieces with it. Is there an expert here? I’d like to send this to a good home.

Waterbury simplicity rod lathe

Found in western Oklahoma. I have no use for it took me a while to confirm what it is. Quite a few pieces with it. Is there an expert here? I’d like to send this to a good home.

I am interested in the lathe if you still have it please let me know either way Steven (928)533-4024

Do you have a picture of the con-rod lathe?
Here is an image from lathes/UK of the rare Drummond jig used on their small 7" lathes.
I have the lathe with many many accessories, but not this jig.

attachment.php

Just to replace the image.
I have one in captivity although I suspect it dates from the Myford years as it has pale grey paint rather than the dark grey/black paint Drummond used.
Quite useful and relatively simple to set up, didn't realise they were regarded as rare...

Most of the boring fixtures need a conrod with two centres at /or near the parting line.....which most rods with metalled in bearings had.....The Drummond fixture is odd in not needing the two mounting points .......I have seen a dedicated machine for boring white metalled rods.......In fact I have one ,but the thing is manual,not powered......although boring white metal ,especially the soft metal used in crappy cars ,is not a difficult task..............Some time ago,someone wanted to swap my borer for a 9" South Bend......shoulda grabbed the deal,next I heard he d up and died.....and the daughters wernt interested in ought but dollars.

Text and images thanks to Tony's lathes.

The very rare con-rod boring jig. This was bolted to the cross slide and had an adjustable V-block at the back that could be slide forwards and backwards to accommodate rods with centres of up to 10 inches in length. The rod was secured by its gudeon pin in the V-block and the big end raised and lowered by an adjustable locking pad.

Attachments

• img3 (1).jpg
    img3 (1).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 60
  • img4.jpg
    img4.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 60
  • img5 (1).jpg
    img5 (1).jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 56
There is a picture of another version shown here in post #15 of this thread ,
I could possibly try to get a better take of this later if some one needs one.
To help a younger friend............
Another one in an Old motor link here but may have to scroll a long way back now.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...200/?highlight=LeBlond+connecting+rod+machine...
The Old Motor | An Entertaining & Informative Vintage Automobile Internet Magazine
There may have been several versions of these machines or fixtures by different makers .
Jim

Id say every lathe maker would have made a con rod boring attachment.....(Ive seen an a add for a South Bend accessory that enables the lathe owner to bore Model T Ford cylinders)....once all cars had poured bearings ,which were either precision bored ,or by the less fortunate ,hand scraped to journal....Remetalling the rods was an all day job before replaceable shell bearings.....some high class engines used die cast white metal inserts,but they were supplied in only one size for boring to fit.

Back