What's new
What's new

Watts Campbell museum

enginebill

Stainless
I am on the board of directors at the Rough and Tumble Engineers Museum in Kinzers PA. We are trying to save the historically significant metal working machines of the Watts Campbell Machine Co. Watts Campbell built steam engines and machinery starting in the 1860's. Some of the machines that we want to save are a VBM with a 24' swing made by Watts Campbell, a 24' planer made by Hewes and Phillips, a 91" Ames lathe plus smaller planers, lathes, slotters, VBM's, shapers and drills, all made from 1870 to 1900.

We would like to build a building and set up the machines to make a working machine shop on our museum grounds. I am looking to find out what kind of interest there will be in a project like this.

How many of you that have never been to our museum would drive several hours or fly accross the country to see a period machine shop with very large machines set up and working, driven with a steam engine?

If I can show that there is a large interest in this project, that interest will make it easier to get this project started and funded.

Sincerely, Bill Hazzard

When would the collection be available for visits? Year around, summer, one day a year, one day a week...? I looked up Kinzers and saw it is very close to the Strasburg Railroad and the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. Of course, Lancaster, PA has many attractions. So there will be plenty of tourists in the neighborhood. It is just a matter of making the new attraction known and available to the people who value old iron.

Last year in September, my wife and I traveled East. We rode a train at the East Broadtop. But all I could do was look through doors and windows at their amazing machine shop. Apparently, they do give shop tours, but maybe it was one weekend a year in October. Then we went to Lancaster. My wife got to see the farms and quilts and the S&S show at Lancaster, but I did not have time to see the two railroad attractions except to drive past them.

So yes, if I should live so long, I would drive to Kinzers to see what you describe, and the other stuff in the area. Good luck.

Larry

Bill:

I would certainly make the trip to see such a shop.

Hope you are planning a detailed digital photo documentation of the original site with machines in place. On a CD, that could be a good fund raising item.

Jim C.

Enginebill,
I would travel several hours flying over the ocean to see the spectacle of what you propose- being practical about the scheme the works and contents first need to be fully recorded by competent surveyors who really understand the function of machine tools and the process of manufacture to which they were applied.Ideally this should incorporate a video presentation with users of the various machines giving their own unique anecdotes. If the worst should happen and the machinery be lost, at least this record will survive............

I have no knowledge about the politics of your organisation - a scheme like this will obviously be of considerable expenditure and if you are dependent upon the number of *bums on seats* as the English tourism jargon goes, it may take years to recoup your outlay.

This project is one of the most potentially important and exciting schemes I have heard about in years. It deserves to be given support by forum members and I am sure that with perhaps some photos taken inside the works, the ball could be set rolling

I'd visit such a shop, and I'll second Jim's suggestion of a detailed digital photo documentation of the original site with the machines in place.

Irby

Wait a minute! There's another lineshaft shop out Bill's way that's well worth the drive, and I'd love to see one day. It's Bill's!!! :D

Irby

Enginebill,

I'd gladly make the drive from central NJ to see something like that. I've been meaning to get out to R&T "one of these days" and this would just add to the appeal.

I hear you have one of the last existing Myers lathes made in Columbia PA.....I've got a junker Myers which I keep meaning to scrap. (Need any Myers parts donated?)

John Ruth

If you do the excellent job with this that your club does with everything else, then it would be on my list for sure. We have a small line shaft shop at the West Michigan Old Engine Club and it has a strong following. The best part for me is the look of amazement on childrens faces when you bring a machine to life without turning on a electric motor. Please proceed as machines of this size need to be saved!!!!

With Stasburg, Cass and a host of other things in the area you will be contributing to making PA one of the best bangs for the buck. I too am almost more interested in Shops {repair & machine and gun shops}then most tourist traps and musuems. From what your explaining it would be to us as a bug burner is to a moth,{hey Gypsie, check out this cool lite thing} we would HAVE to come see this. Best of everything, John.

I've been to a bunch of Steam shows over the last two years. Rough & Tumble & Tuckahoe are on my to-do lists for next year. Your not that far away from me for a '2nd" trip to Kinzers to see the shop.

my friends and I are always on the lookout for a reason to ride our motorcycles on a beautiful Saturday or Sunday.

Mark

Bill,

I would check it out in a heartbeat with my family, and I'd be happy to share your information and the experience with other associates and friends too.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,

John Madarasz

My wife and I LOVE that region, we've traveled from Ca before to visit and we'd sure like to add your line shop to the list.

Haven't been there since '06, time to do it again.

If you follow the CD/video fund raising suggestion, I'll buy one.

Ahh, Lancaster, (that's Lanc'ster to we 'English') County, among the many other attractions of life idyllic, the charming land of fresh-faced girls in white bonnets, 'flying' down a country road on inline skates and truly beautiful mules in pristine farmland pastures.

Bob

Here are four pictures that I had taken about 8 years ago. We will definately be photographing everything before we take it out. Making a CD of photos would be a great fund raiser idea.

As far as the Meyers lathe parts go, we don't need any parts but I am sure someone else would want them.

WC1.jpg

WC2.jpg

WC3.jpg

WC4.jpg

Oooo I'd come! My wife would be board to death, but I'd love it! I just have to wait till my son gets a little older to appreciate things like this.
Definitely like to see more pictures of the old shop too.

Tony

Back