What's new
What's new

Way OT - Identify old hand driven mechanism

duckfarmer27

Stainless
Google foo has not helped me matching images. My brother stumped me with this old 'tool' that was in a barn collection of wrenches, gnawers and bludgeons. Looks to fasten to bench/table with the clamp. Lever on end swings much like a lathe collet closer. Crank turns a 'not cutter'. As it is mechanical and this forum has more knowledge than anyplace else I know - what is this thing?

On edit - should have mentioned absolutely no markings anywhere on this.

Thanks.

Dale

Attachments

• Whazit.jpg
    Whazit.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 293
Bob -

Thanks - a 6 minute answer! I'm not a reloader and as far as I know nobody in the family ever did. Funny thing my brother wondered if it was for reloading shells and me (the smart mechanical engineer brother) says no way.

Now to go eat some humble pie and tell my brother he was right.

The education continues.

Dale

No doubt, paper shotgun shell roll crimper. Today they roll crimp modifies plastic shells in a drill press in the same way, just held differently.

Yes, I used to use one to reload old-style paper 12 ga. shells. There was a companion tool that cut the damaged ends off paper shells that had been reloaded and fired too many times. The shells got shorter each time you trimmed them, so you adjusted the inside wad thickness to compensate.

Larry

Back