What's new
What's new

Weaver 28-ton High Speed Press

I'dG84that

Plastic
I thought you guys might be interested in seeing my lightly restored Weaver press. It's a purely mechanical system that uses a large hand wheel riding on ball bearings to drive a giant ACME lead screw. The lever arm drops down and ratchets along the hand wheel to get to it's full 28-ton rating. Additionally the entire screw/wheel system can be moved with a rack and pinon similar to an arbor press. This one appears to have lived a long life as shown by the amount of wear present on the casting pivoting around a steel pin. Luckily it'll live out an easy retirement in my home shop. The round press plates are the original cast iron pieces.

IMG_0621.jpgIMG_0633.jpgIMG_0673.jpg

Here is my 42" 28 ton Weaver. If the wedges are free above the hand wheel, you only need to loosen the hand wheel a little bit and the wedges slide relieving the load on the screw, it is brilliant. I think mine had an easy life.

Attachments

• IMG_2335.jpg
    IMG_2335.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_2332.jpg
    IMG_2332.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_2334.jpg
    IMG_2334.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_2352.jpg
    IMG_2352.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 306
I called them Fly press,s, crank the wheel until it is going real good and let it fly into the work...Phil

This is a fly press. They have heavy weights to provide inertia when spun to do the work. The Weaver screw presses are not designed to provide maximum force from inertia like the weighted ones do, but use a ratchet and lever for force.

Attachments

• fly press.jpg
    fly press.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 265
Here is my 42" 28 ton Weaver. If the wedges are free above the hand wheel, you only need to loosen the hand wheel a little bit and the wedges slide relieving the load on the screw, it is brilliant. I think mine had an easy life.

It amazes how many of these are still around but I suppose it's a testament to how well built they were. I've never seen one in quite as nice shape as yours with all those original details. Very cool.

Enginebill I have the same exact press Minus the return spring. Could I trouble you to measure yours so I don't have to buy a bunch of them trying to find proper tension spring. I am the new t this site and it is a good one. The only one I could find this press on. Oh well Thank you very much. Russ86

I have always wanted one of these, just because its simple. No electricity, no hydraulics. I have found 2 near me, went to look at them and each one was dropped. most of the parts were brazed back together and not done very well so I passed on both. Still would love to find one in decent shape.

Enginebill I have the same exact press Minus the return spring. Could I trouble you to measure yours so I don't have to buy a bunch of them trying to find proper tension spring. I am the new t this site and it is a good one. The only one I could find this press on. Oh well Thank you very much. Russ86

Russ, the spring has a wire diameter of .200", the OD is 1.375" and the overall length is 8".

Attachments

• IMG_4348.jpg
    IMG_4348.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 187
I need parts for weaver press. Bearings and spring in where wedges are and the ratchet handle for the wheel.
Leo

I am working on one like this. Can you explain more about the wedges. If what I'm thinking you are talking about, mine has a spring between them

Idj, there is a spring between the wedges but I have never taken mine apart.

magneticanomaly, Not sure what you saw but mine is a 28 ton.

Attachments

• IMG_4781.jpg
    IMG_4781.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 78

Back