What's new
What's new

webster and bennet

pressbrake1

Stainless
Hello, been offered this wb 36" I reckon its 1940's
I dont know if its my imagination but the crossrail looks really worn and scored
Any response s appreciated

That's an old " D " type. It's got to be older than I am because they were phased out in 1948 in favour of the hydraulically controlled " DH " type. I was phased in a year later. I wouldn't be put off by the age though if the machine is in running order. Typical British bullet proof over engineered design were it was expected to last a man's life time comfortably.

They are pretty basic machines but very well made and reasonably easy to maintain and repair. Nothing much to go wrong other than the clutches getting tired as long as the lubrication has been looked after. The slideway lubrication was the weak link as you can see.

Machines like that put the great in " Great Britain ".

I remember a big job coming off a 48" version of that machine. The levers on the operators side ended up like spaghetti. It took me ages to straighten them all out later.

Oh and two "t"s in Bennett.

Regards Tyrone.

Whats the contraption sticking out behind the feeds?
I didn't know 'till I bought a book how many options there were on gear ratios, also slower spindle speeds led to heavier bearing arrangement, hollow spindle or just a well?
Even I find lots of uses for the old W & B

Richard.

That's an old " D " type. It's got to be older than I am because they were phased out in 1948 in favour of the hydraulically controlled " DH " type. I was phased in a year later. I wouldn't be put off by the age though if the machine is in running order. Typical British bullet proof over engineered design were it was expected to last a man's life time comfortably.

They are pretty basic machines but very well made and reasonably easy to maintain and repair. Nothing much to go wrong other than the clutches getting tired as long as the lubrication has been looked after. The slideway lubrication was the weak link as you can see.

Machines like that put the great in " Great Britain ".

I remember a big job coming off a 48" version of that machine. The levers on the operators side ended up like spaghetti. It took me ages to straighten them all out later.

Oh and two "t"s in Bennett.

Regards Tyrone.

Does that look typical wear for a old one?
Its cheapish but im not into junk hoarding

The railway workshop at Ipswich (Qld) had a most unusual W&B,it was two boring mills side by side on one base.It was one of the last machines there when the museum took over,but I think the railways were keeping it.Never seen or heard of one like it.Incidentally,the Qld railways is all privatized,new owners seem to do zero heavy maintenance,and have closed /scrapped just about everything.

I run a 52" DH at work. Great machines. Even with a severely worn cross slide screw it's on the money if you just gouge away until getting serious in the last .060 or so.

I run a 52" DH at work. Great machines. Even with a severely worn cross slide screw it's on the money if you just gouge away until getting serious in the last .060 or so.

Hi Mike, on the " DH " types a serious design flaw in my opinion was the use of the oil in the main gearbox/base as a lubrication oil for the ways. Because of the hydraulic controls the machine used " Velvus 3 " oil which as you probably know is an hydraulic oil as thin as water. Not suitable as a way oil at all. Most of the older machines had "fired up" ways unfortunately.

They should have fitted a separate lube pump on the column with a good way oil in it. Nothing to stop anyone retro fitting one though even if it is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Regards Tyrone.

Be sure to lower the rail before moving it as they are top heavy. Im not sure ( many moons ago when i rebuilt 2 of them) also read the book on how to rotate the table as they have a roll up clutch that will break if you rotate chuck by hand in the wrong direction.

Back