weight capacity monarch lathe - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I'll buy that. Apparently just mine is lacking

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    You sure about that? Because there definitely is a tang slot in the TS ram of my 16" CY Monarch.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Okay, I'll buy that. Apparently just mine is lacking
    Cue short fat allen grubscrew + drill n tap operation John?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Cue short fat allen grubscrew + drill n tap operation John?
    Maybe the next owner will want to do that

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think there is some confusion about the tang slot. In a drill press, the tang slot is both for driving the drill and a means of removing. Most lathes that I have seen and used eject the tool by drawing the ram back until the screw pushes out the tool. Here there can be no driving slot as the size of the screw is larger that the width of the slot. However, some may have drilled a slot just for the purpose of using a drift instead of the screw. Here the taper is still the only means of driving torque.

A modification which my 12CK has, is both a slot and as Limy says, "short fat allen grubscrew + drill n tap". The ram has the slot and, at 90* to the slot a 1/2" tapped hole on both sides. To use large drills, I insert the drill so the tang is perpendicular with the tapped holes, insert the screws and tighten against the flat of the tang. A tap with a brass hammer and the drill is ready for use. This the only way I could drill larger holes as over the course of 75 years the inside of the ram is hardly pristine. After drilling, the screws are removed and stored.

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    I think there is some confusion about the tang slot. In a drill press, the tang slot is both for driving the drill and a means of removing. Most lathes that I have seen and used eject the tool by drawing the ram back until the screw pushes out the tool. Here there can be no driving slot as the size of the screw is larger that the width of the slot. However, some may have drilled a slot just for the purpose of using a drift instead of the screw. Here the taper is still the only means of driving torque.

A modification which my 12CK has, is both a slot and as Limy says, "short fat allen grubscrew + drill n tap". The ram has the slot and, at 90* to the slot a 1/2" tapped hole on both sides. To use large drills, I insert the drill so the tang is perpendicular with the tapped holes, insert the screws and tighten against the flat of the tang. A tap with a brass hammer and the drill is ready for use. This the only way I could drill larger holes as over the course of 75 years the inside of the ram is hardly pristine. After drilling, the screws are removed and stored.

Tom
    My CK has the set screws to hold the tang also. Never have needed to pull them out, I always thought they were factory.

The series 60 does not have set screws, but still has the ability to grip a tang and knock out when retracted. I would imagine the knockout end of the screw is turned down a little, and being a larger 4MT helps also.

Both machines can be ejected with a drift, or retracting the ram/quill.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just pulled the centers and chucks out of both and looked in with a light. Both machines have the knockout end of the screw turned down to fit through the tang driving slot.

I havent run many non-monarch lathes, but this is how all lathes I have been around work. They drive tangs and knockout on retract. It would be odd if they did not.

7. Likes TDegenhart liked this post