What's new
What's new

WF& J Barnes No. 5 1/2

makarovowner

Plastic
Hello,

I just acquired a wonderful old Barnes lathe. I have it running and pleasing me greatly with just the preliminary maintenance that was needed. This machine runs on electricity and it looks possible that the factory may have installed the parts needed to do so. I have a gear with a missing tooth. There are no change gears with this machine currently. I would be interested in acquiring them over time and at reasonable cost if anyone has them or a source. My wife and I have found quite a lot of information on the history of the company, sales pages from 1918 and so on, the patent drawings and so on. We found that LeBlond? acquired the company years ago and if we write them they may be able to provide parts and so on. Has anyone done this with them? My machine has the leg style of the #6 shown in a catalog. Production of these metal lathes ended? when? Would love to have a close date of manufacture. I made a mobile base for it tho it is likely not the proper thing to do. Thinking about adding a pan to catch chips and oil from the bed opening supported by the mobile base. Also wanting to create some shielding protection to keep out of the danger of moving gears (me and any less wary who may enter unexpected). I am not a machinist, tho I am interested and wish to do some very basic work at my leisure. What are the pit falls of these machines? What are the common problems if any? This seems the perfect size, style, and fit of machine for me. Very proud of this lathe. I keep breaking my Dunlop 109 which is just to light for what I ask of it. Thanks alot.

Hi. I don't know the answer to all of your questions especially about the history of the company & such. I acquired a Barnes 13 lathe a few years ago & I too was missing quite a few of the change gears for the lathe. I see Barnes lathe gears pop up on the bay from time to time but sellers are usually asking a fairly hefty sum for them. My old Barnes 13 had babbitt headstock bearings so that was definitely one limiting factor for me. Even though it was a really cool antique looking machine to have in my garage it wasn't really practical for me to keep as an everyday working machine. I opted to sell the lathe & get something else. Good luck with your Barnes!

Martin

Back