What's new
What's new

What Is This?

Gizmologist

Plastic
Hi all, I'm new to machining and this forum. Retired and now going to do what I should have done 45 years ago.

Anyway, last week I bought an assortment of tools from a guy and I've been cleaning them up. I ran across this piece and thought it was just a piece of bar stock till I started cleaning it and noticed a couple of screws in the middle of it and then realized it was two pieces. I have never seen one of these before and am curious what it is and what it's used for. The stamping on it says General Hdw Mfg Co, Inc, New York, NY USA, No 112-D. I couldn't find much info online so any help would be great. Thanks

001-480.jpg
002-480.jpg
003-480.jpg

It is an adjustable parallel. They come in sets of different sizes and were made by several companies.. A common use is to adjust it to fit a slot and then measure it with a micrometer to determine the width of the slot.

In the old days, a budding machinist would collect printed catalogs from various tool suppliers like Manhattan Supply Co. (now MSC), General and Starrett. You would study every page and dream of which tools you would buy for yourself if you had the money. Eventually, you would recognize every tool in the catalogs and have an idea of how they were used and whether you really wanted them. Then you would haunt the flea markets and classified newspaper ads looking for bargains.

Larry

I'm not sure if my reply's are going through right, I'm still learning how to use the forum. Thanks to all who replied.

Hi all, I'm new to machining and this forum. Retired and now going to do what I should have done 45 years ago.

Anyway, last week I bought an assortment of tools from a guy and I've been cleaning them up. I ran across this piece and thought it was just a piece of bar stock till I started cleaning it and noticed a couple of screws in the middle of it and then realized it was two pieces. I have never seen one of these before and am curious what it is and what it's used for. The stamping on it says General Hdw Mfg Co, Inc, New York, NY USA, No 112-D. I couldn't find much info online so any help would be great. Thanks

View attachment 281906
View attachment 281907
View attachment 281908
Happy Retirement! , I ended up with one of these parallels, mine is small, about 2" long, I am going to see if it has a company name on it, but pretty sure it is unmarked, leading me to believe it might have been hand built, perhaps as a project.
Cool info!

Back